Help, Calling All Geeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kerf, Jul 28, 2010.

1. kerf

kerf Guest

I've been experiencing an unusual problem of late. I first noticed that Hyper Links on my email would not work until I rebooted. They would work for a while and again stop. While looking for the problem on Windows Task Manager/Processes, I discovered that an "iexplorer.exe" was active, when no Internet Explorer function was open. Ending that task restored my hyper link function.

Anyone ever run into this before?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Google iexplorer.exe and you will find that it is possibly a virus. If I remember correctly there was something going around a while back that used that file. These people here will help you out if you follow the guidelines.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup

Good luck
    Jim

3. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Kerf, if this can help you out, I just checked my processes on my 'puter and iexplore.exe does not exist.
    PC clone running Windows XP Home, SP3.
    Computer has no problems to speak of.

4. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

iexplore.exe is a good file but iexplorer.exe is trouble. Find the files' location then reboot in safe mode. Go to the file and delete it. Good luck

Jim

5. Dude use firefox a lot of Europe won't touch IE because of security issues.

6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I use firefox, am using it right now. Is is waaaaay better than Windows IE(insert version here).

7. Luka

Luka Member

Watch out for those extensions, though.

I don't worry as much about viruses, worms, etc, since I started running Linux Mint, instead of XP pro.

But I still do pay attention to internet traffic as much as possible, on the off chance that something could happen.

I have noticed that a lot of linux people claim there are no viruses, no phone home ****, etc... in linux.

But have found that the reality is that most people who run linux just simply do. not. care. if their software 'phones home' or shares info about them, etc.

If told about something like the super-cookies, most stick their fingers in their ears and recite "watermelon watermelon watermelon", over and over again. Like if they do not know about it, it can't be true...

It's one thing to actually be safe. It's another to stick your head in the sand and claim to be safe.

Recently, I installed "better Privacy". An add-on for Firefox. It is supposed to get rid of LSO's or super-cookies that websites use flashplayer to install.

It might actually DO that.

But...

Immediately after I installed the add-on, I started seeing not-insignifcant amounts of internet activity, that was going on when I didn't even have any internet programs open. No browser, no email, etc. Immediately after I start the computer up.

Also, when firefox is opened or closed, there is a flurry more of the traffic.

This has -not- been the case, until now.

Most of the traffic is outgoing, as if something on my computer is 'phoning home'.

I'm thinking I am going to have to rename the add-on, "Give-up-your-privacy.'

It HAS to be the add-on that has caused this. Nothing else on my computer has changed.

Today, I ..UNinstalled.. "Better Privacy"...

It is STILL in there. And the traffic continues.

This REALLY sucks.

As far as I know, if I uninstall firefox itself, from linux mint... stuff will stay behind. So, if I uninstall firefox, then reinstall, it will simply put the **** back in there.

I'd pretty much have to wipe the hard drive, and reinstall mint, then reinstall firefox... All to actually get rid of a firefox add-on that has installed some sort of phone-home functionality.

8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I have no idea how to watch internet traffic on my computer.
    I also do run Better Privacy. Should I be concerned or paranoid about Better privacy?

Unless I click on something on a web page the little computer screens in the lower right corner of my screen rarely blink after the computer gets done with it's start up ritual. That is the only thing I can think of that would be considered watching the internet traffic. Now you have me wishing I could just sit on the side of the road and watch the internet traffic go by. It would be nice to know just what the heck it really is doing with my computer.

9. LiquidLion

LiquidLion New Member

Use google chrome. It's better than both internet explorer and firefox.

10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

You are stating that as fact, when it is only an opinion. I've tried both and will choose FireFox over Chrome any day of the week.