Help change MB laws in the US(sort of)

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Nicholai D. Best, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Nicholai D. Best

Nicholai D. Best New Member

So I have been an avid 'motorbiker' for about 7 years now(but i lost my user name here and had to make a new one :whistling:), like all of you i have had my run ins with 'the law'. I have lived in PA and MD and VA. All have there own different systems. As I'm sure most of you know DMV laws are influenced heavily by insurance company lobbing groups. There is an online movement to try and remove money from politics. I hope this post doesn't get removed though its not directly related to biking, I think this would help out all the bikers out there. With out insurance companies making the rules we might be heard better!

P.S. I am NOT encouraging anybody to donate money to this(I don't).

Wolf Pack

Keep Riding!

2. Ben Anderson

Ben Anderson New Member

It's also heavily influenced by bureaucracy itself. Government is a self-serving entity which means that the more widespread and far-reaching it's powers and encroachment exists, the more it maintains it is needed.

I agree with you totally about insurance companies as well, but the scope of their interests pertain only to laws which affect directly their profit margins, such as the enactment of seatbelt laws - for example.

Still though, it is almost inevitable that government will seek to regulate motorized bicycles so that it can create another source of licensing and taxation, and revenue in the form of fines applied to motor vehicle laws. As it is currently, MB's skirt these taxes, licensing, and registrations, but are not exempt from following laws. It would be nice to form some type of association that is just for MBs to lobby efforts in favor of riders and not government. If something is not done beforehand it will ruin a lot of the good attributes of the activity.

Good luck though with trying to remove money from politics! It would be easier to cut your own head off with a chainsaw.

3. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Politicians of every stripe have the mindset that G_D almighty has given them a mandate to make laws, regulate, tax, and control everything under the sun.

4. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Well I for one don't mind wearing the blackhat, doesn't matter what you do you're going to break some stupid unneeded law.If we could get together we should ride to DC armed with air-powered sabot cannons and take out anyone trying to stop us, then watch them try to outlaw air rifles or better yet AIR "the terrorists are using our air against us, we need to regulate the air to make it safe for the children!".

5. Ben Anderson

Ben Anderson New Member

Don't joke gremlin, if they could they would.

6. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

When I mentioned this other members asked for my resignation.

Some think they are not required to follow the traffic laws because a MB is neither motorcycle nor bicycle.
    After 25 years of having no tolls in CT they are going to bring them back. You will see helmet laws,MB/Moped/Goped/Scooter laws, MB registration, personal property tax, insurance and licensing.
    They will eliminate the grey areas of traffic regs and outlaw 2 strokes completely.
    CT always follows Calif. lead on air quality control and is trying to actually be more stringent.

Personally I don't think its a bad idea, this state is broke and needs more revenue.If MBers can avoid it by addressing their actions/antics they could dodge the bullet.
    In CT lane splitting is not legal, nor is passing on the inside, yet MBers and cyclists do this all the time.

I know in the 70s snowmobilers had to step up and police themselves to protect their hobby/recreation/sport and we did it.
    This crowd on here won't step up and will find themselves up the creek with out a paddle.They asked for it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  7. grinningremlin

EVERYTHING a human does is a joke to a gremlin.Better enjoy the freedom to joke about anything, that too will be out the window.

King Oldbobma, so what?

8. grinningremlin

Don't mind Oldbobma, he doesn't even OWN a MAB.His brain seems to be wasted on machinist skills, which we all know isn't rocket science.

9. Ben Anderson

Ben Anderson New Member

Did someone mention machinist skills? Are you a machinist Oldbobma?

10. grinningremlin

I'm assuming he has those skills, the dude IS versed when it comes to motors.I was referring to an old argument we had, he has a motive other than helping MAB riders, he doesn't own one and basically hates bikers/MAB's based on what he's dealt with in his neck of the woods.

11. Ben Anderson

Ben Anderson New Member

It's a sad day in America is all I can say!

12. grinningremlin

Go take a stroll on the bike, and you see it's a great day on earth.

13. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Here it is,people can't control themselves so the governement will slap laws on them.
    This is just the start.

CT Proposed Bill No. 103

14. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Freedom is not defined by what one can do, but by what one cannot do.

The overwhelming majority of laws are passed to restrict individual freedoms, all in the name of the public good don'tcha know.

15. grinningremlin

Less pesky bikes on the roads.That's a law for "perceived" safety(like how mag size will stop killings), by a legislator, that is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.When you ride two abreast and a car approaches from the rear, you column up single file.There was probably one accident that got blown out of proportion (cud chewing moron texting while driving is my guess), bad apple spoiling it, not a rash of people in the way, as you infer.
    CT is beautiful, but I'm glad I live in a bike friendly state.

16. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Two abreast is a problem.If people were more considerate there wouldn't be laws like this.They don't move over..

There are "rules of the road" that apply to everyone, because they don't specify particular 2 wheeled vehicles those riding them seem to think they don't have to follow them.
    In this state if you can not maintain the posted limit you are to pull over and let traffic by, bicycles by law have a 15 mph speed limit.

You haven't driven my commute so you can't comment on it.This area is far too conjested for people to ride bicycles on state roads during commuting hours.

17. grinningremlin

If you can decree how we all should act from your omnipresent throne, I can comment on your commute.You assume, I assume.
    I assume if it's that crowded, it must be a crappy place to live.All those people not controlling their reproduction, sounds like we need some governmental populace control.

18. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Your rents would have been a good place to start.

19. grinningremlin

Just like the bicyclists you hate so, that pesky free speech keeps getting in the way.Gonna have to do something about that.

20. Richard H.

Richard H. Member

The archives here from the old days are full of sayings like 'if you cannot regulate yourselves, you will be regulated upon'. Given the human condition, the later will usually prevail.

The idea of a MAB, motor assisted bicycle, is a great concept, affording a cyclist up to 2 HP (1500 watts) of assist in a majority of jurisdictions. A small, efficient, quiet, unobtrusive power source added to a lightweight bicycle frame is a gift in added efficiency. It can be made to adapt to be within the design parameters of the original bicycle and to inhibit as little as possible the original functionality of that bicycle. It's a sweet idea but only if a certain restraint is used, IE: keep it light, original and looking as much like a bicycle as possible and leave it at that.

Problems are instigated regulation wise when mission creep sets in to turn MABs into fake motorcycles, a not so thinly veiled attempt to build a cheap contrivance of dubious build quality that skirts the law, license fees, liability and regulation of a whole vehicle class. Some of the "cry freedom" types can yammer all they want but no one is fooled if they're just posers and they want it both ways: they really want a motorcycle but they think they're fooling everyone by being cheap and shirking the responsibility of owning one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013