Help!! Engine problem

Shleppin

Local time
3:16 AM
I broke down my engine to replace bearings and go to put it back together and when I tighten up the screws fir the case it makes my crank not move good, like it's rubbing. I loosen screws and it frees up. Please help

sometimes factory puts on a washer to space crank away from the bearing mount & other times it spaces mount away from rough spot where journal was swedged into crank cheek - you need to turn by hand a bit, then open & look for rub marks

sometimes factory puts on a washer to space crank away from the bearing mount & other times it spaces mount away from rough spot where journal was swedged into crank cheek - you need to turn by hand a bit, then open & look for rub marks
I was turning it. Didn't see anything. I didn't change anything other that the bearings. Same size and there properly seated.

if you don't see marks, then scribble all over it with magic marker, put it back, turn it more & look again

if you still don't see anything, then check the true of the crank

and what type of bearings did you get, exactly?

sadly, when it comes to crank bearings "same size" is NOT necessarily the same!

theres ABEC ratings, for starters, then theres another set of tolerances to be aware of.

sure, you may have walked into a bearing shop and gotten the "same" bearings, but just because they were 6302's or whatever the crank bearings are...doesnt mean it was a good idea. the shop holds standard bearings of standard sizes...not special tolerance bearings for specific uses. such as crankshafts.

sheesh, i want some angular contact bearings for my milling machine spindle...turns out theres four different varieties of the same size, each with different contact angles... most shops will carry only ONE. and they look at you strangely when you ask for a specific type. salesmen/disinterested employees versus industrial engineers.

check for those little washers/shims on the crankshaft itself as crassius mentioned.

did you remember to install the gasket between the cases?

Back