Help! I want to go uphill

Status
Not open for further replies.
going uphill

I don't remember seeing anyone on those 2 hp mopeds pedaling. Some don't even have pedals. How can they weigh a hundred lbs. or more, go 30 mph and handle hills just fine. Yeah I know some of them have 2 speed transmissions but some of them don't. Is there some magic gear ratio that as soon as you add that final tooth to your back sprocket you can go uphill without pedaling? Like I said I don't care much about top speed. I would be content with 15 to 20 mph or maybe even less if I could get up a hill. I would go bigger but the law says no more than 50cc and 2 hp. I think my question was basically how can I make my HT go up a hill or for that matter how can I make my Grubee/Honda go uphill. From the way the vendors advertise you would think you could pull stumps with that 4 stroke powerhouse. :). I know I could get a moped for about the same amount of money or less than I already have invested in motorized bicycles but it wouldn't have the style or fun factor that a frame mounted engine on an American style cruiser does. One comment I've heard more than any other is that "It sure looks better than a moped". Sorry I'm so wordy I'll try to stay off soap box. If anyone knows the magic tooth number please send me a pm. I didn't mean to stir up indignation from some members.

Last edited:
alot of people think motor no pedal i have had these bikes for 2 years and believe me need 2 pedal up hills only on straights flats capable 40mph [65km]yes 36toothh sprocket
up hills 44 with pedal assist no problem
48 or 52 have not tried
by the way i ride pushbikes all the time and i might have the leggs for it i am able 2 ride approx 100 km a day on my cross contry mountain bike

rjones,

I have the same 4 stroke setup described. You are dealing with more altitude and apparently bigger hills that I do. On a couple of the largest hills I deal with, if I get a run up, say 35 mph, I will crest the hill between 20 and 25 mph- 48 tooth sprocket. However, if you have to start on hills or take them on without building speed- you are going to have a tough time.

On the 4 stroke, what are you using for gearbox lube? Also, are you using the governor? If so, get rid of it.

As for mopeds and scooters- one word- transmission.

As for "pedal assist" that's up to the user- I think of mine more as pedal start and a place to rest my feet. The gearing on the Sick Bike parts kit can get it real low depending on your bike. You could also play with the jackshaft gears to get it lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
going uphill

I run a 50/50 mixture of gear oil and Lucas oil stabilizer. I've found that it is just thick enough to quiet the gearbox down a little and it makes the clutch work better than anything else I tried and I think I tried about everything. I've bypassed the governor. The throttle goes to wide open. I put the 4000 to 8000 ft high altitude main jet in the new carb I replaced just in case. The Honda runs much better, especially at high rpms.

I live about 3 1/2 mi. from town. The first 1/2 mi. is the gravel road I live on. The rest is a two lane state highway. The continental divide is in the middle so it's basically uphill halfway there and uphill halfway back. With the 65T sprocket the Honda does it without pedaling. It slows down to about 20 or 25 right before the top but makes it over without too much strain. The only problem is the driveway. It's about 500 ft. long I'm moving at the bottom when I start up but not fast because there's a hairpin curve first thing. I can help it up by pedaling but it seems hard on the clutch and it's very hard to balance the power between me and the motor. I usually just get off and walk along side. The HT seemed to about the same but lower rpms much lower top speed with big sprocket. I think I'm going to put that 65T sprocket on a 20" wheel just to see what will happen.

Sounds like not getting a run is the problem there- no way around it, though. That 20 inch wheel will really up the torque, but top speed will be really low.

I used to use the 50/50 mix, but over time, the clutch was slipping. Is your gearbox gets so hot that you can't lay your hand on it, yours is slipping too. It may not be, but it is a possibility. When mine slipped, it did not slip 100%- it would still propel the bike forward, but under heavy load (like a hill) I did not get the power I think I should have.

You need a gearbox with different ratios (at least 2) or a CVT.If you gear low enough to get up steep hills,you will be way overrevving the engine on the flats.I live in the Blueridge too near Lynchburg.I opted for a NuVinci drive + a Mitsu 43 cc 2 stroke.This works well on hills,the rear hub has a 3.5 ratio (0.5 to1.75).This can tackle steep hills but is quite pricey and for rack mount only (so far).Check with David Staton,www.staton-inc.com he might have come up with something for frame mount.

uphill

Yeah I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and fabricate some kind of Jackshaft like the SBP system with a freewheel front sprocket so I can use a transmission on rear wheel. Problem is I think it's illegal in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back