Brakes HELP, (need coaster brake innards)

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by montezumasviper, Sep 27, 2010.

1. montezumasviper

montezumasviper New Member

Hey all, just got my bike painted and finished. I took a huffy good vibrations deep red cruiser and painted a grupee kit red to match. Looks super cool but unfortunately the wheel jammed after about 20 miles!

So I took the rear hub apart and exploaded bearings appeared. Need less to say its done for. So heres my question.

The bike has a fairly standard wheel. Can I just take an old junk bike and use that wheel?

Also, I'm adding a caliper brake to the front should I use one for the back as well and forgo the coaster brake? If so where can I find a wheel like that that would match a coaster bike type frame. Thanks

2. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Rim Job

sure just get same size rim or recycle some bearings from from another rim that has same size bearings. My first build was a coster brake i strugled with clearance for coaster arm and bending (I broke one). My current ride is a 6 speed w/ hand brakes i like it better.
  3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Plenty of salvage bike rear wheels would work.
    Most all of the cheap bikes I have seen with coaster brakes were about as dry as a bone inside. No grease ! If you replace that wheel consider that it may be pretty dry/worn as well. Here is a bike repair section for working on coaster brakes. If you can find & fit a front brake , it would be great as well.
  4. loquin

loquin Active Member

You can have this one - just pay the shipping. It's a shimano 28 hole coaster hub...

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010