Help new build

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bbish, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Bbish

Bbish New Member

Hi I am going to be building a bike soon, it will be my first build. I have a budget of 300 exactly for everything... I am in highschool and don't have that much money. I have been looking around and I think I am going to go with the 66cc motor kit from California motorized bikes. I would like to put a expansion chamber on it to if I have extra money. I am stuck on what bike I should get. Can someone recommended me something that fits my budget. I don't really care wait type as long as its safe. Thanks for the help.

2. Bbish

Bbish New Member

Here is the link. Also they show pictures comparing their motors to others and why there better, does the stuff they are mentioning make a difference? Thanks
    http://www.californiamotorbikes.com

3. hmbab2000

hmbab2000 Member

I noticed they have a compete bike and motor out for $299, shipped. It's a perfect fit. And you still get to build it.

4. Bbish

Bbish New Member

How is the bike quality that's the only thing I'm worried about

5. hmbab2000

hmbab2000 Member

I'm assuming it must be a decent steel frame.
    I'm about to begin a build, my 2nd. I'm buying everything new and going for a solid, reliable ride. I purchased a bike from Wal-mart, the genesis onex 29". I'm going to rebuild it from the frame up. But even that was $150.

6. hmbab2000

hmbab2000 Member

Wow, I just read a thread about that company. ..lots of unhappy people! Apparently the customer service is crap if you need help. Careful!

7. Bbish

Bbish New Member

Can you recommend a motor kit around that price? And good to know

8. hmbab2000

hmbab2000 Member

I bought mine on eBay. Lots of buyer protection. I saw everyone had issues with almost every vendor. For a motor, go for protection. They are mostly all the same. I paid $140 shipped. It'll be here Friday.

9. Bbish

Bbish New Member

Ok I think I will do that then, I looked at ur bike that your getting and it looks pretty nice. Is there any other mods you will have to do ?

10. hmbab2000

hmbab2000 Member

I'm sure I'll learn. I'm going to rebuild the rear hub, and modify the brakes for better performance. I read a thread on here about it. The cranks will also get removed, lubed, and reinstalled securely. All the nuts and bolts will get a wrench and some loctite. I understand the head and seat post are weak too, I might replace them as needed.

My first bike was from the flea market.

11. Bbish

Bbish New Member

Has anyone tried the kent thruster fixie from Walmart?

12. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

This is correct. That is the price you pay for a Walmart bike; you need to know how to disassemble the rear hub, lube, replace bearings, nuts, reassemble. It is not a bad price but most likely required at some point. Just gives you more knowledge about bikes.

13. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

isn't a fixie the kind with no brakes and with pedals that spin whenever you're moving - doesn't sound good for 40mph speeds

14. Bbish

Bbish New Member

15. Bbish

Bbish New Member

It's a steel frame too

16. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

then if it has 36 spokes on rear wheel, it should be OK - I like a derailer & gears on back tho for pedaling home when gas runs out

17. JunkyardDog

JunkyardDog Active Member

I prefer the beach cruiser style bikes, to me they look much better with an engine, and they are comfortable. I would absolutely not ride a motorized bike without a front brake. Virtually all the stopping power is in the front brake. I also would not use fenders. It's not a pretty sight when a fender comes loose at 20+ mph. I would stay away from expansion chambers unless you want to attract the attention of every cop around. People will get annoyed and report you. And riding a loud bike certainly does not do any good for the reputation of MB riders, which is already bad.

18. Bbish

Bbish New Member

I think I am going to go with the Schwinn swindler. I like the fork and all metal constitution. I will add a front break. Has anyone tried this bike out? Is there any mods I will have to do ? And has anyone ever tried http://bestbikeenginekits.com?