help! :O (clutch, oil and chain talk)

T

Thejman

I put a 80cc engine on my schwinn stingray it looks great. I have a slight or severe problem you could call it. It starts up fine no slipping etc starts like a champ. When i get her going and give some gas it acts like the clutch isit catching and revs high with alot of vibration. However if i slightly turn the throttle it will catch and i can go 10mph for about a minute or 50 seconds i rev it up and it starts to shake/vibrate a lot and not catch so i mess with the throttle untill it catches. Along with that its leaking oil from somewhere. So any ideas? I was thinking about checking the gears/clutch on the right side to see if anything is wrong but since it is starting and pedaling fine I'm not to sure. While im riding i get blowback from the oil too, my dad jokingly said you look like your riding a old Harley lol.

Hmmm... I would check the clutch... as for the oil leak, i dont know where mine doesnt leak from, my motor is so gross and dirty. I think they all do that.

Logic would say that the leak is contaminating the clutch plate.

You can clean the clutch with carb cleaner spray, or maybe better yet, brake cleaner. Find the leak, stop it and all will be well. I don't think these clutches take a lot of abuse....don't keep riding it until it's fixed.

the clutch plate is adjustable:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=942

# 1. How to Adjust Clutch if signs of slipping or squealing are encountered :
A) Disengage clutch by pulling handle bar clutch lever inward and lock into catch lock.
B) Remove right side engine clutch cover and remove small locking screw on center *Clutch Adjust Nut.
C) Pull clutch arm on left rear engine inward. Back off *Clutch Adjust Nut ¼ turn counterclockwise.
D) Release handlebar clutch lever and check for slight 1/16" free-play on engine clutch arm.
E) Readjust *Clutch Adjust Nut as required to get required 1/16" clutch arm free play.
F) Tighten *Clutch Adjust Nut on clutch plate clockwise until just snug.
G) Then re-install small locking screw in outer edge of *Clutch Adjust Nut .
H) Good idea to place a small gob of grease at gear mesh area. Use grease sparingly! Then replace cover.

keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom said:
Hmmm... I would check the clutch... as for the oil leak, i dont know where mine doesnt leak from, my motor is so gross and dirty. I think they all do that.

mine are all kinda drippy too

srdavo said:
the clutch plate is adjustable:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=942

# 1. How to Adjust Clutch if signs of slipping or squealing are encountered :
A) Disengage clutch by pulling handle bar clutch lever inward and lock into catch lock.
B) Remove right side engine clutch cover and remove small locking screw on center *Clutch Adjust Nut.
C) Pull clutch arm on left rear engine inward. Back off *Clutch Adjust Nut ¼ turn counterclockwise.
D) Release handlebar clutch lever and check for slight 1/16" free-play on engine clutch arm.
E) Readjust *Clutch Adjust Nut as required to get required 1/16" clutch arm free play.
F) Tighten *Clutch Adjust Nut on clutch plate clockwise until just snug.
G) Then re-install small locking screw in outer edge of *Clutch Adjust Nut .
H) Good idea to place a small gob of grease at gear mesh area. Use grease sparingly! Then replace cover.

keep us posted

^^ thanks I will try this, but for now I cant ride my bike :( The engine bolts vibrated lose in the back and i lost them. Still waiting for kings motor bikes to get back ahold of me they are taking their time too -_-.

As for the oil leak I think i got that covered, I found my muffler gasket decided to come off damn cheapo. So i went to a auto parts store and got the good stuff they use for the bigger car engines :).

Last edited by a moderator:
on further investigation i found the bolts actually broke off inside the motor :(. I have no idea how I'm going to get them out now.

Bikeguy Joe said:
Easy Out from Sears or other tool store.

yeah :) got them out the other day, put some new bolts in rode around and the master chain link broke off :cry: waiting for the parts from dax, should'nt be to long :)

What size drive chain do these use? How many links?
Reminder- when you put the master link on, make sure the open end faces to the rear of the bike when it's on the top or forward moving section of chain.

Back