Help please!

here is a Tanaka on sale !!!

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/ta47hiperaen.html

*** note *** on the Tanaka you can flip engine so the gas cap is on top and you can fill the tank all the way to the cap. You can't do this with a 4 stroke becuse there is crankcase oil on a 4 stroke... and it will run out into the air cleaner and make a big mess...

It's the little things !!!!

Thanks for all of your help everyone! After all of my research I decided to go with the gp460 motor. The next step in my build is to figure out the best way to beef-up the friction drive mounting kit.:D

I'm thinking that the way I'm going to strengthen the mounting is by adding several struts and thickening the U-braket, as well as triangulating the entire thing.:eek:

My first intent was also to brace, triangulate and strengthen the U-bracket. After the project got started, I found it unecessary. However, I DID replace the rear struts to "old-style" Staton single strut...one on each side.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2675

That REALLY held the roller solidly onto the tire

This GP460 doesn't have a lot of pull at low end. But once it kicks into high rpm, you will feel a VERY powerful KICK! The engine does NOT like to climb hills, but runs like heck on flat ground.

I tried 1.25" rollers, also 1.375" and 1.5" rollers on my BMP friction drive. Maybe I should've tried 1" and 1.125" rollers.

Engine noise got to me at steady 10,500rpm on the road.:sick:

I'm a glutton for punishment and might try this GP460 engine on a shift kit.:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hopefully going to order the friction drive and the motor next weekend:D Can't wait to put it together, I will hopefully find a way to improve its low end performance, but its not biggy if I can't since its pretty flat around here.

It's going on my gary fisher or timberline gt bike. Can't decide which one since the fisher has been very beat up, missing some paint and scratched pretty bad but it shifts very smoothly:D The timberline is much prettier though.

Also between the friction drives I was thinking the BMP, but is the staton one better?

Another thing I was wondering what you were saying on your thread about the compression head and the gas...... I intend to leave the engine almost entirely stock and want to make sure I can just give it the 93octane gas.

Last edited:
Back