Tubes HELP..second rear wheel blow out less than week

Freewheelin

Local time
7:51 PM
Bought a shwin 26 mountain bike with aluminum rims. So last night, my rear wheel hit a raised man hole cover...blew the tire out and possibly dented rear wheel..second time in less than week...got 2 saddle bags in back with my tools etc..and I'm 230. Do I need heavy duty rims? had to call for a ride again..this has got to stop!

not exactly sure what we got going on here
you mention two blow outs
I understand your second blow out - not sure what happened on the first one ??

when ANYONE hits one of those raised man hole covers ---
without knowing what's coming
we are in for some trouble..

we know that you have learnt you lesson now --
all man hole covers, water valve covers, storm grats ect -- CALL FOR SLOWING DOWN
I hate it when I hit one of those
and if I may just a little note here from a retired City worker
if one of the Cities man hole covers is raised
and someone bends a rim because of it
the City has to pay that one the cost or repairs
their is a max limit that most Cities allow for things sticking up -- such as 1" for some
but to also remember -- City payoffs do come slow

bact to the point -- two blow outs
maybe you wish to consider a top quality rear tire -- most of the weight is carried -rear
there are also super heavy duty tubes and I also use those plastic tire liners

after this little mishap -- be sure to check for broken spokes -- is your wheel still true ??

ride that thing

Last edited:
Hi mountainman..First blow out was a sunken section of sidewalk..by the time I saw it going 25mph, it was to little to late..I jumped the front wheel and when the back wheel was going to hit tried to releive the pressure on back wheel to no avail..dented the rear wheel..so I'm on top of this bidge at night on my back trying to fix the bike and the cops show up..I tell them the situation of the sunken slab of side walk, he asked me for my I.D..not my licecense and asks if I need a ride home, I reluctantly said yes.. I go by the sidewalk 2 days later to see what the he$$ I hit...and low and behold they put asphalt over the concrete sidewalk making a bridge lmao and that was state bridge not my local town...Hmmmm
anyway back to the second rear wheel blow out...just fixed the tire this morn and it looks like the tube got pinched then popped becuase the rim wasn't dented this time...but still....Heavy duty tubes/liners/kevlar/...? I need to stop having my tires get blown out at night on what seems like most bikes should go over or at least not "pop"...gee I'd hate to see if I took this bike off roading..I'd better have a dozen tubes with me and a rim! The bikes brand new. ???????? help...thanks

Last edited:
hey moonhog..thanks for the link..I'm still trying to find out my best options...got a bike store down the road from me..I'll see what they say also...looks like it's gonna be a decent day to ride

well you mention riding at night -- yes I have also found to be a problem

I don't have the best lights --
I hit large rock one morning in the dark -- almost thrown into traffic

I am slowing down my rate of travel in the dark now

be careful while in the dark and you -- ride that thing

If your going to have wheel trouble 90% of the time it's going to be with the rear wheel(simply by the weight over the rear wheel)
Make it a strong as possible...heavy duty hub/dual-walled rim/thick SS spokes & then get your tyres as bulletproof as possible.
OVERKILL is the name of the game,particularly with the rear wheel.

Fetor..thats exactly what I'm thinking...make the rear wheel as bullet proof as ya can...thanks for the reply

mountain..just got back from a long ride..what a great fall day for that...I also stopped by the local bike shop and he said I could go over the psi range of 40 to 60 by 10 psi..just filled both tires to 70 psi...I think this will help alot.. looked into a 100psi tire but it was more of a road tire and winter is coming up I'll think I'll stick with my mountain tires at 70 psi...also might add a liner for those rocks and such..bottom line though your right...slow down at night...I wasn't familiar with the area...thanks for the help

Back