Help, Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub assembly

Skyliner70cc

Local time
8:16 AM
Hi,
Just got a sturmey archer 3 speed hub and I can't for the life of me figure out and understand how to install the shifter cable/chain etc... If I understood how it worked maybe I could figure it out.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sky

I found references but still don't get it since many of the illustrations are small and not very detailed.

I don't get how it shifts. There is a hole in the axle where the rod attached to the chain is inserted. Its not connected to anything internally so how does pulling the chain with a shifter cable cause it to shift?????? What am I missing.

the chain, the shaft and the point.

Sheldon Brown's the man, but I have an old Sutherlands manual that has the couplet run down on these bad boys.

first question I have is do you have the little rod of steel with the chain hooked to it? there should be corresponding cable that comes from the shifter.It has a coupler that matches the one coming from the hub.

there is a special nut that Sturmey Archer made that works only for the drive side. Its a little longer than the standard on and it has smooth edges on the inside of the nut so it won't hurt the chain and shaft that screws into the three speed hub.

the general idea is that you take rod and screw it into the hollow axle of the on the drive side. It should catch. Now by pulling on that chain you can change the gears in that internal hub.

To do that you need a place to anchor the three speed cable on the drive side of the chain stay. I would think that that hardware also came with the kit.

I think that you may have to go to Shelton Browns for the rest.

mike

I didn't look at the link Esteban gave, but there is a video on youtube for disassembly assembly.
I am using one for a jackshaft and love it.

Back