Help with 4 stroke kit I have 2 different kit's I'm look at which 1 should I get?

The lower unit is the pedal crank. I welcome direct challenges on this site, it allows me the concerns of what to watch out fore in the future. I am well aware of the bearing situation and 1,000 or more miles is the true test of mechanical aptitude in these still experimental bicycles. I believe these challanges will spur further accomplishments in the future of motorised bicyceling. I hope the solutions will be freely shared among the community. I still think getting started without spending a fortune on this passion is a start at least, the addiction will follow. It takes alot of hard earned money to purchace something you will likely enjoy. I would rather start out with a $350 4 stroke and go from there. A 2 cycle for ME was not the way to go, I had only problems, not to say 2 cycles are not good at all. I enjoy my 4 stroke and will in the future resolve any problems with it, frankly, I enjoy the challenges.

BTW, I believe the 49cc 4 stroke 5G kit from BB is the HS 49cc, at least that is what I bought 5 months ago.

That do not seem to understand I simply do not have $800.00 to spend, and I have no way of getting it, If I had that much I get an old junker or I would go electric.
I have a choice either spend $400.00 now. or walk another year until I save up the money I make less then $8.00 an hour by the time my rent,electric and bus pass are paid for I have less then $200.00 to buy food clothing and so on and that's for a mounth . I'm a poor man that does not even have a credit card. Again I would give anything to have that kind of money.
From what I have seen on ebay the gearbox can be purchased for $25.00 - $65.00. If I have to replace them every 6 month so be it at least I will not have to walk.
You can even buy the gearbox's that go on the Honda kits for around $200.00 that would still be less the $600.00 most of the Honda kits start at $750.00+ and that was for a smaller motor, and did not include shipping.
Thanks for all your help I thank I'll probably go with BB.

BGF on Ebay did not do me well, you get what you pay for. Quenton, do you have any info on the belt drive trans? I can make one if I need to ,just will take a little reasurch. I would rather put money away now and purchace one than make one. I do enough of that stuff for a living. PM me if you will. I would like to hear about it.

Hi dorourke,

Just ask any question about the belt drive and I will gladly answer. Here are a few comments that may be helpful.
We use a special belt [automotive wedge or AX series], not a typical FHP belt for EXTENDED belt life. We locate the automatic clutch at the rear of the drive for 2 reasons, first to support the clutch with 2 large bearings, and secondly to reduce the clutch speed. I mention these important details because when building your own drive it will make a major difference and determine your clutch options.

We are currently doing a major upgrade to our website and when completed we plan to have the Q-Matic drive system shown in more detail and offer various parts of the drive for the DYI builder.

More questions?

Have fun,

Quenton, wow what an idea to mount the clutch to the rear of the drive. I can see many favorable reasons to do that. I think you could even get less clutch wear if I guess right, it also makes more sence to mount the clutch with the most support possible. I will keep an eye out for your web site, thanks.

That do not seem to understand I simply do not have $800.00 to spend, and I have no way of getting it, If I had that much I get an old junker or I would go electric.
I have a choice either spend $400.00 now. or walk another year until I save up the money I make less then $8.00 an hour by the time my rent,electric and bus pass are paid for I have less then $200.00 to buy food clothing and so on and that's for a mounth . I'm a poor man that does not even have a credit card. Again I would give anything to have that kind of money.
From what I have seen on ebay the gearbox can be purchased for $25.00 - $65.00. If I have to replace them every 6 month so be it at least I will not have to walk.
You can even buy the gearbox's that go on the Honda kits for around $200.00 that would still be less the $600.00 most of the Honda kits start at $750.00+ and that was for a smaller motor, and did not include shipping.
Thanks for all your help I thank I'll probably go with BB.

SamD from what you state why don't you get a F/D that costs $150 new then you just need a motor. New honda 35 is $250 and you'll have a reliable fun ride. Cost is where you want it to be. Or look on the 4sale threads and buy a good used kit. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

You might also contact the major motorbike companies and see if they have a test motor for less money. I also know some of the companies have returned motors with minor problems [stopped up carburetor, stripped threads, etc.] you could purchase at a reduced rate.

We don't have any used motors in stock, however we have sold off the test and proto-type units in the past.

We might be able to supply a Q-Matic prototype drive at a reduced rate, just need to check our stockroom.

Let us know if you find a motor and we will see if we can help with some used test parts to make it fit your budget.

I also know some have upgraded to larger motors and have sold the original 49 CC motor at a really good price [I have purchased the 49 CC HS 4-stroke motor used as low as $75.00 and as high as $100.00 in the past].

Have fun,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your help.
I will be posting my first build this week if it ever stops raining.
I got my kit on Thursday been raining ever day since it now Sunday The rain is suppose to be coming to and end today I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE
:giggle:(y):D

Back