Engine Trouble Help with engine not accelerating

Ha77agan

Local time
12:07 AM
I have a 2stroke engine and while I was riding I lost all power to my wheels. My engine will still run but it will not accelerate. I can pedal and start my engine but when I turn my throttle it just revs up.

You need to be more descriptive and precise about your engine. My first thought about your problem is a slipping clutch issue ! It might be tight enough to peddle start but slipping when under power from you engine.

Only in bizzaro world is an engine not supposed to rev up when the throttle is turned.

seriously, something obviously vibrated loose like intake manifold or stator coil. Lazy people who never prep their bikes against the vibration fall prey to this kinda thing all the time and then waste the time of others on this forum.

Give the guy a break. He's obviously a newbee, with only 2 posts. We all had to learn somewhere, and some of us are still learning. I think his point is the engine revs, but does not pull !

Since he doesn't offer much description, here is my attempt to reply:

1. Is the chain still attached to your engine and rear sprocket?

I'll vote with porkchop. No chain=no pedal start.Loose stator or intake should= not running correctly.Starts and runs ok but wont drive the rear wheel you would think by process of elimination would be a clutch related issue. Cable not adjusted correctly, clutch itself not adjusted correctly,or the rod that actuates the clutch itself (bucking bar???) not releasing properly when you let clutch out?? Lets engine start but still has clutch partially engaged?? I'm new too but might be things to check, good luck.

I have a 2stroke engine and while I was riding I lost all power to my wheels. My engine will still run but it will not accelerate. I can pedal and start my engine but when I turn my throttle it just revs up.

lost all power to my wheels. Front or rear

What engine are we talking about...there are so many out there. How is the front/rear wheel driven, chain, belt, roller???????
We are all......

as to what you are working with.

Last edited:
its probably a harley... :giggle:

(yes they once made a 2 stroke)

Last edited:
man al is right, there are so many engines out there...what does he have?
friction drive 2 stroke or a frame mounted h.t.?
it could be a slipping clutch (if a 2 stroke h.t.).
it could be a misadjusted roller on a friction mount.
sounds to me like he has a typical 2 stroke h.t. engine and his clutch is slipping.
it could also be a blown crank seal, allowing fuel and oil to get onto his clutch pads.
there are so many variables....we need more precise info.

skyliner, if the chain was not attached to the engine and rear sprocket, he would not be able to peddle start it, like he said that he can.

Back