Help with ordering piston, grube gt5

rogergendron

Local time
1:12 AM
Hey guys I am new to the forum but a very experianced mechanic.

I have a problem here. It seems like there are at least 3 dif piston types for the same style engine.

I am doing a rebuild ... Port polish port matching exe .... And I am litteraly done, all I need to do now is order a new piston rings and clips. Then trim the skirt to match my intake port and grind a relief in the piston for the exahst and side ports.

But I do not know the part # of the piston I need

I jave the grubee gt5 my piston has only an arrow on top and when the piston is on a flat surface the top of the wrist pin hole measures 1 1/8 up from the surface . The closest piston I found said it was a type b and the hole measured 1 1/16 up ? Thats a 1/6 off and will alter port timimg ! The other said 15/16 up. Type a I think there are more but they are marked differant than mine on top . I want the correct dome and port timing here so I need to be shure I am getting the roght piston .

Can you guys help .

The main difference is the compression height. (distance fron pin centerline to piston top) The Super Rat had a 40mm stroke, while most all others have a 38mm stroke. Not a big problem if you know how to shim the cylinder to get "0" deck height. Also, there is a piston with a domed top which I don't recommend, as it impedes flame travel, stick with a flat-top piston. It's also a little lighter, which helps balance and quicker revs. By the way, I don't think they make the Super Rat anymore, but still sell parts for them. Hope this info helps.

If you're worried about port timing you have to measure to piston top edge, not the center top of the piston.

I'm now having trouble finding the correct piston pin for my GT5 Pro racing. I ordered one from Kings and it is to short, 32.6 mm in length.
The pin I have is 36.9 mm in length. Dia is correct, 10 mm.
The needle bearing length is exactly the same as the rod width witch seems to short of a cage. 12.2 mm wide.
The gap between the piston pin bosses is 17.2 mm. this will allow the needle bearing to move left and right 2.5 mm. This doesn't seem right.
Where is a good place to get the right parts for this Vintage engine? LoL

many places on ebay sell wristpins in both short & long versions (they list length in ad) - some sellers of piston+rings+wristpins+clips as a set seem to use whichever length is handy and I've not seen a problem using the short pins

there was discussion years ago about using spacers on short bearings, but most bearings seem longer now - you might find lengths in some ads, but I'm not sure

I have been contacting vendors with measurement questions but have not heard back yet. I'm putting it back together now, it ran fine when I took the engine off to use it as a bike while I was waiting for a fuel tank. While it was off I decided to modify the skirt on the intake side. Thats when I noticed an area on the pin I don't like. So if it goes another week I'll be OK. I'm going to order a complete top end kit for the long rod engine.(High piston pin).

Back