Here's what i did- (torque wrenching tales)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Guest, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

For those that are "torque wrenchedly challenged".
    I did this a few years back for working on ukltralight aircraft (the tubing is easy to mash down if you over tighten something).

Just buy one of those really cheap Made In China socket sets and cut the handle off so it's just big enough to fit in your palm. Alternately, you can go buy the really short one at Sears for 12.99 then loose it the first week you had it....... :???:

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

I agreee

I bought a set of stubby's 1/4" to 1/2" and I swear byem.
    Plust they can get into some tricky spots that the other can't.
  3. mrsaxman99

mrsaxman99 Guest

or you can just buy a torque wrench?
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes they could, but I posted this because a lot of folks have problems with bolts and studs stripping. This is an inexpesive way to torque bolts without buying/maintaining and properly using a torque wrench.

Plus the cut off handle makes it "custom" :???: :lol:
  5. rcjunkie

rcjunkie Guest

Torque wrenches are great but most folks dont' realize they should be calibrated regularly.

I like the palm wrench idea.
  6. spunout

spunout Member

SIGH! :( I just broke a motor mount stud inside the motor due to over-tightening. not the first time, either. when will i learn? :cry:
  7. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

seems like never, lol
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Grade 5 hardware and a short wrench go a long way toward happiness!
  9. spunout

spunout Member

VINNIE! :lol: haha
  10. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

happy your not the only one to break'em off. l broke my back two studs off and ran it till l broke off the front two studs, then the engine just popped off to the left and was just hanging there. it was very funny, plus l knew it was just a matter of time.
    here's an idea happy, get that ferret and a bigass rubber band(flinstone style)and you have yourself a new just kidding
  11. bolton75

bolton75 Guest

A beam type torque wrench does not cost much money (generally - some of them are dear but I'd just get one of the cheaper ones) and is perfect for use on bicycles. Simple and effective.

Generally the click type torque wrenches are the ones that will set you back quite a few $$$.

I've always found Parktool tools to be of good quality and they sell two different types of beam torque wrenches (TW-1 & TW-2). Check it out and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008