He's home at last.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by uncle_punk13, Jul 14, 2008.

1. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

As some of you may know, my best friend and riding Bro. was hit by a car two weeks ago. he's been in the hospital, undergoing various surgeries to reconstruct his leg and wrist.
    He was only going 40 miles an hour on his vintage Honda when a cage driver pulled out into him. The bike went under the vehicle, he went up on the vehicle. He was wearing his full gear at the time. Providence had a hand in this as he was wearing his leathers as a joke to take pictures on this little bike.
    Anyway, he broke his ankle, shattered his knee and had a compound fracture above the knee that went through muscle, skin, levi's, and leathers. Yes it was that violent that his bone went through his leathers! cracked ribs, fractured vertebrae, clavicle, broken wrist, and some internal bleeding.
    He's okay. he is alive first and foremost, he will walk again, and he's determined to ride again.
    Last friday he was released to home, with 24 hour help. he's in fairly high spirits, and is recovering well. BUT he has a long hard road ahead in the physical therapy department. I'm finding it hard to write this as I'm still pretty emotional about it. It took me a week to get back on my bike, and I just don't know what I'd do if I had lost my best bud. Yet I feel that it is important to share for the sake of making a point; of asking that you all please, PLEASE, wear your gear:
    "All the gear All the time" (as our motto goes), and don't skimp when making the most important part of your motoredbike purchase- spend the extra to protect yourself. I also speak from experience having had a few accidents, and close calls over these opast nearly 11 years of motoredbike fun. Hitting the pavement at 30 MPH is hitting the pavement at 30, no matter what you're riding, and when a vehicle is involved, well you all know.I'd also like to ask that you watch out 360 degrees at all times. Expect the unexpected, expect that drivers will not see you, and be as safe as possible. I don't want to frighten anyone, but there is a false sense of security with our bikes, and complacency can be disasterous. Just be careful while having your motoredbike fun!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008

2. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

glad to here your friend is going to be ago and i can understand how hard it was for you to jump back on the bike and start riding again.

He is going to need you for support now, especially when he recovers enough to jump back on the bike again, so keep your chin up stay in high spirits for your friends sake and before you know it you will be out riding together again
  3. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

great thread riff! i know the pain of goin down & watcing bros do the same. i rode with old leather butts who always chose not to wear helmets when ever possible. but i also raced & knew the ramifacations of not doin so on the track, the road is twice as dangerous as the track so please folks wear the gear!! be good ambasadors for motoredbikes!!
  4. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Thanks guys!
    Vegas, I'm back in the saddle! :) The Screamin' Night Hawk is my only mode of transpo right now. ALL my four wheeled ones are down at the moment.
    Wavy I kinda had a feeling you'd know this old song...:)

You know the thing is, that these vehicles have even less mass than that of motorcycles, so the greater the disadvantage as far visibility to other drivers.
    There's also the fact that it's hard to break away from the mindset of "this is just a bicycle, so it's safer." to being able to see it in a "near enough to be similar to a motorcycle" mindset. The way I kinda see it is the other safety issues stew from this core point. I'm not trying to say I'm an expert, I'm just speaking from experiences, and observations; with this and recent events, it has brought me back around to my little saying:
    "safety today, live to ride another day" Cheesy? probably, but it works to keep myself from straying into complacencey.
    Well, thanks for listening, and letting me speak my piece.
  5. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

These things are so much fun, it IS easy to "drift off" while riding. Maybe I'll make an MP3-type thing that plays a tire "SCREEEETCH" at random to keep me alert ;)
  6. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Whoa....really glad he is on the mend. I'm sorry, but cars scare the **** out of me. I'm not afraid of the car per se, just the idiot with a cell phone crammed in an orifice.

Looks like car took the brunt of it! Tell your bud he is a tough hombre!!
  7. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

my mind set is to stay out of the way as possible-inside the white line!the less you are of an obsticle to cagers the less they will be stupid to avoid you.
    & always big blinky lights , bright colors, ect. & be very curtious as ambasadors for motoredbikes! even if the other guys an ---hole!!
  8. Eco Speeder

Eco Speeder Member

Sweet Mother that is a wipeout!:shock: And he was wearing full gear. OYYY. And to add insult on injury, his bike is wrecked as well.:(

I definitely giving more thought to my crash gear. Which right now consists of a bike helmet.

If my crash analysis of your pics is correct, his face would have been smashed if not for having a full face helmet. I am also convinced that if such a fateful moment like that darkens my path, I'm launching off the bike before we hit. Try anyway.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  9. Eco Speeder

Eco Speeder Member

So true. Thinking along the same line I have 4 multi LED lights across the handle bars and a safety yellow helmet.

I did have 'words' with a car driver the other day at a red light. After she rolled her window down I said " By the way you cut into my lane on that curve back there I can see how the side of your car got wrecked:roll:" Then i gave her directions to the street she was trying to get to.
  10. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi punk; that is a bummer for sure. let me know if we are going to the beach together. mitch
  11. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

well the motors ready to go on a bike.
  12. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

As of last week he is now using crutches (instead of the walker) to get around and I've been driving him to some of his appointments. He's so happy to be out of the house and such, we go out and hang out as long as he can hold up. Glad to have my bro back!!! I had been going to his place and hanging out a couple times a week, but now we can go goof off and wreak havoc in society again... He's mending well, but still has a long way to go in the physical therapy department, but he's so freakin' dertermined to ride next summer that he's really working hard at it. What spirit!!!
  13. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It has been my experience that determination is the primary factor in long term recovery from a bad accident. Glad to hear he has it.
  14. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

So my bud is now walking without a cane or crutches, he's back to work, driving himself around, etc. He's at about 85% and is now trying to decide between the Triumph Tiger, or the Ural 2-wheel drive... ME? I'm looking at a Triumph 750 Scrambler... LOL!!! He'll be back in the saddle this summer, and he want's me to hook him up with a moto-kit for his 53 Monark this summer... Bitten by the MotoredBike Bug!!!
  15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that's great news!!

:eek:fftopic: Ural 2-wheel drive? I googled it... the 2-wd part is on the sidecar?
  16. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

You wouldn't believe the amount of determination, spirit, and hard work; it's the nature of this guy! He's a unique , and rare, commodity in friendship, and in general in this world.

Yeah, there is a drive shaft from the back wheel of the cycle to the wheel on the side car. Personally I like the single drive 'Retro' with side car, as it's more my style, and the 'Wolf' solo is pretty nice as well.
    Sure, it's off topic, but we're in the white zone so... :whistling:

I'm looking at the gebe set-up for him for his Monark, but we'll see what happens between now and then, something else may work better for him, the bike, etc.
  17. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I met a guy summer before last who had just finished a 5,000 mile camping cruise in the Arctic Circle on a Ural 2wd. He loves that bike.

Glad to hear your bro is recovering well. It's been my experience that recovery is mostly dependent on the attitude of the recoverer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008