Hey guys

chevelle454

Local time
8:21 PM
I'm Jon, from ohio. I have an engineering background and I'm trying to help straighten out myths surrounding motorbikes. I built a huffy cranbrook test bike. It was junk and the dropouts were fatigued and failing within a week. I'm currently building a 60s schwinn heavy duti, custom machining and fabricating any parts I need.

Welcome, Jon. Big-block Chevy guy, eh?! I've turned wrenches on those 454's, and 396's, and the small-block Chevys. My current (and affordable) passion is motorized bikes, though.

Let loose with those myth-busting questions you have. There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people here willing to help.

My bike is a Giant single-speed cruiser with a 49cc Huasheng 4-stroke and a Q-Matic drive.

Are you in the 2- or 4-stroke camp?

Cheers,

Max

Max bikeforforum.jpg

Welcome to the forums, Jon. This hobby is habit-forming; you are forewarned! I am also a big fan of the Chicago Schwinn bikes, super-solid construction. P.S. Nice bike, Max; I especially like the way you did the chain tensioner.

I recommend stripping the paint off dropouts [ aircraft stripper { Auto Body Supply } ] Wire brush metal shiny and braze dropouts to tubing.
As a juvenile 85 pound terror, I tore out lots of dropouts slamming on the brake while making a 90 degree turn, that was 40 some years ago, back when metal was metal . Mask off paint you don't want to violate, sand brass smooth, prime and paint either a contrasting, or frame color
For that ' Worcester Chopper ' look ... prime repair, let primer cure a couple days, than apply a thin film of JB Weld. Sand out JB after a 24 hour cure. Prime and paint . I coined the phrase ' Worcester Chopper ' because as a youngster, I admired the beautiful bikes that seemed part of the once thriving industrial community. Worcester had * lots * of small, independently owned, machine and Chrome shops, this was long before you could ' buy ' custom frames, shipped to your door, back than, if someone rode a ' Custom ' , it's because they built it.

I've been on the other motorbike forum for about a year. I am doing a 2stroke, though I've replaced just about everything on it except the jug and bottom end cases. I am an engineer and concours car restorer, currently building two '36 Packards, and I am developing a twin supercharging system for them. I don't have questions, but rather joined because I saw misinformation which bothered me greatly. I don't like misinformation, especially when the safety of someone else is in the balance. I have designed and machined a billet piston, head with 8.5:1 compression and proper squish, crank and connecting rod, rear sprocket adapter with cooling for rear coaster, coaster arm with offset, and rear axle locks with beefed up dropouts. I have also made a cdi, rectifier, and other electronics to incorporate lights, turn signals, and horn for street legality. In addition, I am making an in frame tank for my bike. Upon completion of the electronics, an expanding polymer will be added to the tubes; this will provide a dampening on vibration, and provide a slight increase in rigidity without adding much weight.

Man, that sounds like a sick bike in the works. Be sure to document and take pics along the way!

Whereabouts Ohio do you live?

near Kent state university. the cops around here will ticket anything and everything possible. Max, that is a slick ride, I like it. My father had a 68 with a 454, so they are one of my favorites. I love all cars though... except korean ones.

Back