Hey I'm new!! Is it possible to take a several thousand mile trip on a motor bike?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LandSFan, Jul 29, 2009.

1. LandSFan

LandSFan New Member

Hey everyone, my name is Jeri. I live in Akron, Ohio. I'm looking to take a ridiculous road trip come january. from jacksonville florida to at least california. is this possible with a motorized bicycle? i'm trying to figure out if i should buy a moped or a bike and a motor. any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. jerms

jerms New Member

lol well if you're handy with your tools and feel comfortable with tinkering w/ your bicycle w/ engine on the way then go for it! it'd be like keeping up with maintenance. making sure all your bolts are still tight, plenty of 2 cycle oil, enough room for your junk in the trunk w/ your toolbag/gear.

if not, get a moped with some sort of luggage carrier, personally i would opt for something a little less high maintenance, especially if you're looking to go the scenic route.

3. LandSFan

LandSFan New Member

i'm not sure. what would be better? probably a moped. but, my boyfriend is ****-bent on bikes with motors right now. i just want to find out what would be able to last us a VERY LONG TIME. i'm talking at least a year. some have told me that the bikes with motors are ****ty, unless they are very high-end. i imagine i'd have to get something more high-end if i'm trying to be gone for a long time. i'm talking america, canada, mexico. the works.

4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Hello and welcome to MBc.
    Not an easy question to answer without more background info. How mechanical are you or how mechanical do you want to be, time frame, resources?
    Is it doable? Sure, there are members here who have done long distance but they also had a lot of experience building bikes, some for a living.

In a nutshell, when you say "the works" I think it's gotta be high end.

5. augidog

augidog Banned

6. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

Welcome
    Do some research on them fisrst and find out the better brands and engines and kits before you buy. I wish I would of.

But they are very addicting once you get into them .

7. JohnGrahamIV

JohnGrahamIV New Member

long distance

i recommend 4 stroke for refueling.