Hey there

matt4x4

Local time
9:38 AM
I would like to introduce myself, my name is Matt and I have a few questions I would like to ask, but I will do it in the correct category. I'm in Canada and thinking about buying a Honda 4 stroke 100cc+ engine for rear rack mount setup, I already know too much about electric setups, now its time to go gas.

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Matt and I have a few questions I would like to ask, but I will do it in the correct category. I'm in Canada and thinking about buying a Honda 4 stroke 100cc+ engine for rear rack mount setup, I already know too much about electric setups, now its time to go gas.
Hi Matt.
I have just 3 words for ya...
'Center Of Gravity'

Trying to mount a 100 pound engine (counting transfer case) with massive torque above your rear wheel on a bicycle rack is a disaster just waiting to happen not just riding but even sitting still.

Beside just the thing falling over whenever it can because of high weight, no bicycle rack is going to be able support the weight let alone keep it in place due to torque.

Think mounting center cavity low for a beast of an engine.
A frame mount will take the torque and it won't fall over with a kickstand like this 4-stroke 79cc Pred build on a 29" Macargi Fatal Love bicycle.

2_79ccPredL.jpg

2_79ccPredR.jpg

Just tips, take 'em or leave 'em but I just scored a huge 86cc motorcycle engine with a kickstart and semi-automatic 4-speed tranny I need to fab into a bike frame center cavity but that is another topic all together ;-}

Honestly? I can only suggest that you consider buying a motorcycle and become legal in it's operation.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 100 cc Honda engine. Is it a Honda clone like what are sold in pitbikes? Even when considering that KC's comment about the engine being 100 pounds, ( which is inaccurate, most small displacement Honda moto engines run in the 38 to 65 pound range.. my Ducati 250's engine was about 125 pounds, but apples and oranges...) you are dealing with an engine that has a broad and powerful torque band that would pretzel a bicycle wheel, over power most rim brakes, and damage most bike racks even stoutly made ones plus the extra weight would make the wheel life short even if you refrained from wicking it up.

Please, please, get a real motorcycle.

Even when considering that KC's comment about the engine being 100 pounds, ( which is inaccurate, most small displacement Honda moto engines run in the 38 to 65 pound range..
Yep, just the engine is in that weight range which is why I added the (with transfer case) because they attach to the engine and not light.

We do agree though, trying to mount a huge 4-stroke over the back wheel on a bicycle rack is a disaster just waiting to happen.

I don't even think you should mount small engines to the rack unless you absolutely have to. I won't belive that rack mounts are a sensible solution until I see a Harley with a rack mount engine.

Back