Hey! whats up?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Andrew735, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Andrew735

Andrew735 Member

Im new to motorized bicycles. I randomly stumbled on them one day and have been itching to build one of my own ever since. I want to use a beach cruiser frame and put a 49 cc motor on it, but i will need help. I know a little about motors and all of that stuff, but not a whole lot. My brother will be helping me. He is at school for mechanical engineering, so he will be helpful.

2. Hollywood

Hollywood Guest

Welcome to MBc. Andrew.Im sure you can find the help you need when you start your build.
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

G'day Andrew & welcome to MBc.
    Now you've done it....now you've really done it...........your well on your way to a new addiction. :cool:
  4. mickey

mickey Guest

Welcome aboard Andrew
  5. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Welcome Adnrew, Have fun!
  6. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D
  7. Abeagle

Abeagle Guest

Welcome to MBc. :cool:
    Lots of great info here for all types of new and old riders.
  8. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Welcome to MBc

Whizzer OuterBanks,
  9. graucho

graucho Active Member

Welcome to MBc. Glad you are here! Ask for help, and many will answer.
  10. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Welcome Andrew. This is a great helpful group you've joined here.
  11. Andrew735

Andrew735 Member

i have recieved much needed help! thanks everyone! I have looked everywhere for a beach cruiser style bike and i cant find anything for under $200! Im not sure what to do with the whole multi gear bikes. Will that get in the way? or is it better than a single gear bike?
  12. azbill

azbill Active Member

try target ...
    they have a 7sp cruiser (Schwinn Jaguar) with front and back v-brakes for 100$
    good luck on your build
  13. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

greetings andrew!
  14. Andrew735

Andrew735 Member

Thanks i will have to look there. I originally wanted just a single gear bike to keep it simple, but from what i have read on here about them with the coaster brakes locking up and everything i think i am just going to get a multi-speed bike with a good front and back brake.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  15. mickey

mickey Guest

You could buy a multispeed bike, keep the 2 or 3 chainring front and replace the rear hub with a single speed freewheel sprocket on a Grubee HD hub from Birddog. I think that he offers a solid rear hub with bandbrake assembly. That might be the best of all worlds.

I still recommend front suspension of some kind no matter what bike style you buy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  16. Welcome aboard!
  17. Andrew735

Andrew735 Member

Have you ever seen a cruser style bike with a front suspension? or would i just need to buy a fork with the suspension?
  18. azbill

azbill Active Member

a lot of cruisers come with 'springer' forks
    I am looking at using mtb bike style for mine (still researching)
  19. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I think the Schwinn Clearcreek cruiser has MTB suspension. I just love the look of the behive springers. Guy's 30+ years older than me see it and i think they're gonna start crying. The one thing about Schwinn is the headset is 1" and the steertube is something like 6", as is my FS Elite. I've spent too much time looking for those requirements on an mtb suspension. Most are 1-1/8 and 5". I have not found sprigers that will take disc brakes, but that's just a "want" not a "need".
  20. mickey

mickey Guest

The Clearcreek is very nice looking and has the features I was looking for but I actually carried my kings "80" to Target and tried to get it to fit but no joy. That stylish concave downtube made it too small. Maybe other motors could be made to fit but I had no success.