Hey ya'll, I am completely lost, and completely stressed out right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried cruiser style bikes before? I have always done mountain bike, straight bar styles and tried a cruiser style bar last night. It wasn't for me; needless to say I felt like I was gonna crash into a tree... Also, I would look for a bike that has disc brakes.

Have you tried cruiser style bikes before? I have always done mountain bike, straight bar styles and tried a cruiser style bar last night. It wasn't for me; needless to say I felt like I was gonna crash into a tree... Also, I would look for a bike that has disc brakes.

Nope, I've actually never done this before at all! Just trying to soak up some info ha.

I am not entirely sold on one style of bike over another, although I do live in the mountains. What I am most concerned about is the integrity of the frame/bike/parts. It will be a mode of transportation for me, not just a side project, so I'd like to spend a little extra, so long as it means the bike will not be constantly falling apart and breaking down on me.

I see a lot of Cranbrook conversions, and I think they look nice, and I suppose that there has got to be a reason there are so many of them? If I could get a Cranbrook, and take some extra precautions, and make a few extra purchases, to make it reliable, I would definitely be willing to do that. But I am not sold one way or the other yet.

Is there a specific bike that you would recommend?

Wait, you said 4-stroke. Typically, 4-stroke kits are larger than 2-strokes and will fit most cruiser style bikes but not many mountain bikes. Make sure you ensure that your 4-stroke kit fits the bike.

Wait, you said 4-stroke. Typically, 4-stroke kits are larger than 2-strokes and will fit most cruiser style bikes but not many mountain bikes. Make sure you ensure that your 4-stroke kit fits the bike.

Oh wow ok! Shows how much I know haha. Thank you so much, that's an incredibly helpful video. So I suppose I'll probably be getting a Cruiser style. Are there some popular ones other than the Cranbrook?

Err, it might still fit the mountain bike that you are interested in but I would confirm with the video guide above. I guess one thing is that a lot of the cruisers have a built in rear rack and some don't (like the cranbrook). I would opt for one with the rear rack if everything is comparably priced.

Thank you for the reply!

Would you say it is bad enough to steer you away from the kit itself? Do you have any other suggestions?

yes, cheap kits are cheap for a reason. you pay for what you get.

Also,

Do you have an opinion on the "Schwinn Sidewinder" ?
nope. just, before laying out the cash, try riding it with NO engine at all.

is it actually rideable? or do you end up pushing it up every hill?

can you stand up on the pedals when necessary or are you forced to take every jolt and bump through your butt, and therefore your spine?

can you jump it off a curb without damaging something?

the reason i say get an MTB. and not a cheap nasty kmart/walmart thing.

my avatar pic...a shogun trailbreaker, cro-mo frame. found at a scrapyard, for $20.

so far, unbreakable. its a real bike, for real riding...well...a midway entry level bike, at least.

was better than the giant i had at one point ;)

Last edited:
I think the Walmart bikes are fine but do test them out at the store. Again, I tried out a cruiser style bike and felt really uncomfortable on it going 3 mph... imagine going 30 mph+. What is your budget on the bike? I saw a $59 mountain bike with a cruiser style frame and rim brakes at Walmart. I might grab that just to replace my old mountain bike.

Well a good 4 stroke kit with pedal exstender and better gearbox not a pocket bike one like I got is $350 and I find the take off is not as good as a 66cc or the top speed but that's with the cheap gearbox. unless you have a shift kit which is $200. I don't see how a 66cc can do you wrong just get a better chain and warter proof the magnito you get your money back out of it for sure I rode one for 3 years to work and back 13km up and back rain or sun. Best thing was a self tensioner for the chain for eny bike

Mountains? I would be looking at a Honda Rebel or similar

Reactions: OTP
Well a good 4 stroke kit with pedal exstender and better gearbox not a pocket bike one like I got is $350 and I find the take off is not as good as a 66cc or the top speed but that's with the cheap gearbox. unless you have a shift kit which is $200. I don't see how a 66cc can do you wrong just get a better chain and warter proof the magnito you get your money back out of it for sure I rode one for 3 years to work and back 13km up and back rain or sun. Best thing was a self tensioner for the chain for eny bike

Yeah, the 2-strokes are reliable too if you put good care into them and upgrade some parts. But, unfortunately for him, NC street legal is 50cc or less though would the law really know... LOL. He should just get a better transmission than the clunky chain one and I think he will be fine. Also get a speed sprocket for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back