Tubes HEY! You need air in that tire!

L

Large Filipino

Okay. I weigh in at 280 right now and the other day this older dude was admiring Cronus as I stopped at the Ace Hardware and thought I needed air in my rear tire because it looked flat when I was riding.
I had pumped it up to 32 psi and ride it this way for miles and miles.
The thing is though is that I rather would like to see my tire not look so flat even though on my end it's rather okay.
So do Bicycle tires really designed for people less than 200 pounds here or should I chance a blowout by putting in some more air?
I want to add too that when it runs like that looking flat I'm sure that's not good for the side walls.
Anyone have the answer?
I'm a bit leary on going any more than 35 psi. It's a Wal Mart Kelvar tire in back with one of them extra thick slime tubes.
I could actually go wider back there. Currently it's the Wal Mart universal 26 inch jobber I assume it's a 26.1.75.
But if I go wider would it look more inflated?

Large I thought that most bicycle tires held at least around 40 lbs these days ??
this has been a basic rule used up top the mountain for a while now
it's usually ok to inflate 5 lbs over the max stated on tire

thought being
most if not all companies would give some lead way -- so we hope anyway..

about 6 weeks ago I noticed that my friend who owns a HT had a low rear tire
we told him about it
there was no tire pump near by
a while later I was testing his MB
that back tire folded over and I was on the pavement soooooo fast

scared for life -- one more time !!!
careful please Large

don't want that for you

as you ride the MB thing

Howdy, Large,
For any tire on ANY vehicle, it's OK to go 10%-20%, SAFELY above sidewall numbers. Pulling a loaded travel trailer with my truck, at about full load, I tow at max. inflation.

Bicyclewise, Some folks with balloon tires like the softer ride of underinflation...say 30-35 on a 40-45lb. tire. Obviously at our speeds, high temperature from underinflating is NOT going to be a problem. I would be afraid of pinch flats with too much underinflation that you speak of especially given your...errr...qualifications.
I say, pump 'em up.
WC

Yea I had a tire EXPLODE on me in the past for inflating to 40 psi but it was also 100 degrees that day so I have that phobia.
I really should give it some more air.
I wish though someone out there can make a motorcycle grade tire for us guys.
Something with at least 2 ply's on the side wall.
You know what's funny is that I have 32 psi up front and it doesn't ever look flat and I'm even looking at it.
The trike is just fine because I guess that my weight is evenly distributed in back along with any payload.

I've got that same tire on the front, and I'm heftier than you. Large. inflated to 50 psi, in phx. I've never had a problem with over inflation.

So all week I had my tires to 45 psi because the side wall says inflate 40 - 65 psi.

Now my tires don't look flat when I ride and then suddenly it seems I have more power because less rolling resistance.

I'm still scared of blowouts but for now I'm googling plans for an ultra trick dunce cap. Maybe it can make a good helmet.

Thoughts?

Oh, okay, so your tires do have it in writing on the sidewalls. Those balloon type cruiser tires, I've noticed, instruct inflation no more than 35 psi. If ya gotta go more, try changing to "hybrid" tires. The kind they use on mountain bikes, but are meant more for riding on streets. Smooth tread pattern and use 45 to 60 psi. Probably more like those comfort bike tires.

My weight fluctuates, but when I was about 220, I had my tires inflated to 55 psi. Always have, even from before I....my metabolism slowed down :whistle:, and have never had a blowout. I'll probably consider doing just this when I get my PB project going, cause those stock balloon tires are really soft in comparison.

BRB........................

Yeah, from what I can gather, tires for comfort or commuter bikes with psi's running 45 to 60 psi have a load rating way over 200lbs. Around the 275lb range. That's per tire. Weight distribution on a trike is slightly higher at the rear, but you still have 2 tires back there. I'd say pump them thangs up. You're well within the tires' parameters for inflation and load.

40psi and my rear tire exploded 7 miles away from home.
I've let myself go I'm currently at 290.
It's an extra thick slime tube on a kelvar tire.
It has to be the slime.
I think it's my weight.
I'm putting Cronus aside for a while till I get my weight in check.
I may go back with a NoMoreFlats and just make absolutely sure it's perfectly level so it won't go bumpty bumb bumb when I ride.
At least these tires won't go flat.
When my tire exploded it blew a hole on my sidewall.
So that's that.
I'm on a diet it's really not too bad.
And wife gave me a Bally's membership.
I'll continue lurking.

Large--Best of luck on your diet. They do work and the feeling of having done it can't be matched.
Went from 305 to 240 but it took a year. The first month or so your life was in danger if you were carrying a Krispy Kreme but after a while that goes away.

Steve.

I really don't call it a diet. I just call it when I watch TV and the urge to finish off a bag of potatoe chips hits turn the tv off and clean the house or pull the weeds.
It's called get a H U M A N portion and chase it down with lots of water.
It's called eat S L O W.
I also try to stay away from breads now but not full tilt.
I figured it this way.
If I can quit smoking cigs after all these years started at 12 quit at 41 and did it cold turkey I can have the same attitude when it comes to food.
A little is good for you.
A lot I might as well go back to smoking it's just as deadly.
Bally's rule,btw.
24 bucks a month no contract month to month the showers have stalls no one's looking at my hotness the pool is warm as is the hot tub and the dry and steam sauna's.
Every piece of equiptment imaginable no one under 18 allowed so it's not a summer kids fest in there it's amazing how many fat people are actually in there no waiting for anything cause I'm there when the rest of the world works.
I'll still get that 14T freewheel for my Buggy Bike.
At least that trike has two wheels out back to spread the load. :)
My goal is to lose 90 pounds and be down to 200 pounds by early spring next year.
And my daughter is training me until she goes to the Navy in August.
I'm rather proud of her. She knows more about this than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back