HF 2.5HP is a killer engine! New Speed Record!

ZnsaneRyder

Local time
5:16 AM
The Harbor Freight 2.5HP engine is starting to get popular and I wanted to let you folks know this engine has LOTS of hot-rodding potential for power and light weight!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97964

Just have to mention, new speed record set by opening exhaust to straight pipe, higher-flowing intake, and removing the stock 3600RPM governor, has proven some awesome HP gains!!!

Top speed on flat ground, now 45.3 MPH at 4800RPM!!! And this engine easily now gets to over 40mph reliably every time!!!

And this is with a push-trailer. I imagine more speed may be possible with a frame or rack mount! It easily keeps up with average cars in city traffic! VERY NICE!

This engine is the new Honda50 killer!!! :devilish:

No more need for huge 196cc 6.5HP engines, when you can have a lighter, more gas efficient engine!

We have yet to do more gas mileage testing. Stock was 140MPG, but it's now better on fuel with the engine mods, so I'll keep you posted on the next gas mileage test!

Crazy Riding,
ZnsaneRyder :giggle:

Very nice! Did not know there is a 40 MPH club! I guess I am in! Hold 43 on flat easy, have pushed over 50.

Keeping up with traffic is a huge safety factor!

BTW, folks, this is a 79cc 4-stroke engine. Externally, it's about the same size as a Honda 50.

Make sure to add a 2HP, 49cc sticker! ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm But, Internally, about the same size as a Honda 50 AND a Honda 35 combined.

I seriously doubt that the HP is still 2.5, after you removed the governor ... :)

Hmmm But, Internally, about the same size as a Honda 50 AND a Honda 35 combined.

I seriously doubt that the HP is still 2.5, after you removed the governor ... :)

More than 2.5HP for sure, especially after the intake/exhaust modifications, but still small enough for the bicycle that's the idea! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back