HF 2.5HP is a killer engine! New Speed Record!

I received mine today. The first thing I noticed is the shaft is not tapered at the end like it shows in the online pdf file from the site. It is a 5/8" keyed shaft. I pulled the gas tank off along with the muffler. It has a much lower silhouette which is what I was hoping for. I believe it will now fit in a cantilever frame. We have a Schwinn Corvette into which we are going to try and install the engine. It is 9 inches from the base to the tallest point on the engine. It is 12 inches from the front of the engine to the sparkplug. The ball bearing on the crankshaft looks massive for the size of the engine. More info to come..

Attachments

• IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Your plate looks full!! :whistle:

attachment.php

Seriously.... without the tank & muffler, you might just pull this off.

I'll be watching!!! :D

HARBOR FREIGHT 2.5 HP 79.5cc ENGINE

Be sure to go on line and sign up for the coupons from HF. It is harborfreightusa.com for the retail stores. Drop the usa for the online store.

I have been getting 20% coupons for about 3 weeks straight from the retail store. They have been good for four days each.

If catalog has a lower pirce, print that and take it in with the 20 off coupon and get the lowest price. If it is a retail coupon item and a discount coupon you can only get one or the other.

In addition they will mail you their fliers and retail catalogs. If you are patient, most everything eventually goes on sale. the "regular" price is just for show and catch the people who can't wait.

We have two within 5 miles and my wife thinks I live there. )

Jim

I am looking forward to see what you guys can do with this engine. This is exactly what I am looking for to use in my next project, which I hope will be a chopper. (and probably a frame mount of some type, for looks) I am very happy with my monster scooter 50cc Cranbrook Cruiser with the BMP friction drive but I am already planning another ride.

I don't see a real easy way to mount this on the BMP drive but I suppose, with a small adapter plate made at a local machine shop, it would be possible. I would just have to mount the inside shoe portion of the clutch and use the clutch bell that came with the drive system. This really looks like a fantastic deal though. Please keep us posted on the progress.

Bill

As I posted on another thread, I'm curious about the noise emitted by this 2.5HP compared to the 6.5HP, as I know some of you have both.

How do the noises compare? louder? piercing? etc etc...

I don't know about the noise issues yet. I do plan on using a flex pipe exhaust like Whizzer used on the vintage bikes. I did a test fit of the engine into the Schwinn Corvette frame and it fits just fine. Plenty of room. I am going to build the mount this weekend while Chris is going to start sanding and painting the frame. It is pretty rough right now. Things are moving ahead on schedule. I hope to have the bike all finished except for the drive system for the Delaware Rally. I will fit the drive on the bike and test it for the first time then. (I hope)
More as it develops.

Jim

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back