HF 2.5HP is a killer engine! New Speed Record!

Just got a HFT flyer today. They have the 2.5's on sale for $89. COmbine that with a coupon and you've got a steal! (They also have the 6.5's on sale for $99 w/coupon for the go-kart guys)

Totally agree its a honda 50 killer!

Attachments

• 003-1.jpg
    003-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 543
  • 075-1.jpg
    075-1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 554
  • 023-1.jpg
    023-1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 567
good job, do you know the approximate weight of this engine? it looks very compact. do you think it will live at 4800 rpm? do you go there just for short bursts? my 7.5hp briggs responded very well to the same mods you did. there is a phenolic spacer between my carb and the block I measured the inside diameter of the spacer and it was 1/16" smaller than the id of the carb so I bored it out to the same size, this seemed to help as well.

A long time ago, I used to race go-karts using the 5 hp Briggs engine. With a few legal mods that engine would run all day long at over 5,000 rpm. On methanol, it would put out over 15 hp. I like this HF engine and I believe that, if kept within its limits, it will give great service. What are those limits? I guess it is up to us to find out.

Bill

We run the larger 190cc 6.5 Harbor Freight engines ungoverned at around 5000 RPM maximum with no mods in go karts. They'll go even higher with stronger valve springs.

This doesn't mean that its little brother is capable of those RPM's, but heck - for $89 and a $20 2 year "no hassle" warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to try it out! (just put the governor bits back in before you return it!)

Wow I almost want to buy this and put it on my stingray frame...just straight from a mini bike clutch to my rear sprocket. til i get some more money of course then i'll get a jack shaft

Last edited:
Back