HF 52cc Auger Engine on sale $189 Anyone have experience with this engine?

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by mlcorson, Aug 4, 2009.

1. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

2. augidog

augidog Banned

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Yeah, me too! Grown up here and never left. Kids ended up at the same high school I went to. The Admiral, Art Hill, Regazzi's, The coaster at the Highlands, The Temptations at the Opera House, The Beatles at Busch Stadium, Lou Brock, shopping at Wellston, roof blowing off the Arena. Had a friend burn down the ROTC building at Washington University...when you were 12. Wait...one more Phil the Gorilla? Remember him?
    -Mike

4. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

5. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

6. augidog

augidog Banned

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1W95

i do, and bob gibson, orlando cepeda, ken boyer, sportsman park (yup!) and "wrestling at the chase" too.

the HF offering i think is the way to go (my guess is it's a hau-sheng source) ...it's the only proof i've seen of certification (only 50 hours, but still) and that tag, imo, is a good indicator they used a better overall selection of parts to begin with. time will tell, of course.

7. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I have a BMP kit with the HF auger engine. Want to know a little secret ? You can get their gas powered water pump for a lot less. Engine is the same !
    I'm pleased with mine. I started with it, swapped to a Honda GX35 and now I'm back to the Harbor Freight engine. Honda might be a Honda, but the HF will do circles around it. The Hf engine is more like 2-2.2 horse power. The Honda is rated at 1.6. Obviously the HF engine has a lot more power.
    By the way, I have the auger and the water pump engine. 2 small mods have to be made for the pump engine. You have to add a clutch and use shorter bolts to bolt it to the BMP kit. The bolt hole pattern is the same.

8. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

9. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

10. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

One more for the road. Click the link below. It will take you to a thread I started s couple of mnths ago about the Harbor Freight engines. A comparison between the auger engine and the water pump engine. I don't remember all that I posted, but I did a lot of research for myself and a few other friends here. Or there ! If you want more info, get in touch !

..... PC .....
    http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=20783

11. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Porkchop:
    Thanks, great info. Appreciate the effort and willingness to share.
    -Mike

12. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

You're welcome. Also, another quick note, parts for Harbor Freight items are available and cheap. The draw back is, if they don't have the parts in their warehouse here in the USA, they have to get them from China and it take 6-8 weeks delivery time. To give you and idea, I bought extra clutches, complete assembly for $2.34, extra recoil pull starters complete, for a little over $4.00. Took about 8 weeks for them to get here, but no big deal for me. I got them for spares if and when I need them. Shipping was really cheap also. Sure you can get the same items off eBay and other sites, but they usually run about $15.00 - $20.00 each plus shipping. Hope this info helps !

..... PC .....

13. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I have a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon good until August 18th if anyone wants it, pm me and I'll send it to you. I just purchased another Robin Subaru EHO35 at a price I couldn't turn down.
    -Mike

14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Not trying to be rude here and go over your head, but here's a link where you can print pretty much any Harbor Freight coupon you might need. Just a heads up for any and everyone ! This is not a big secrete, it's just that most people don't know about this site. I've used them and I know they are legit and work at my local Harbor Freight !
    Hope this helps ! Also, you ought to check this site every few days. Usually when a 20% off coupon date expires, they usually post another one in less than a week or two.

..... PC .....

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?p=18485361#post18485361

15. Billyshears

Billyshears New Member

I need a kit that fits the hf 52cc but bmp appears to be closed or out of stock any ideas thank you

16. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Get a Dax or staton fd kit.

17. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Is this blue-shroud motor the same displacement/HP as the 52cc red?

For $100 or less, I won't worry too much but I would like to know.

PS I can't find this pump on their website. Does anyone have a link? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  18. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

What's the bird video got to do with anything here ? Read post #7 and all others on this thread by me, Porkchop. They should answer your questions about the blue colored engine. But....good luck finding one. HF quit selling them many months ago. There are a few other places to buy this same engine. They might have different names on them, but they're all China junk anyway, even though I've had good luck with mine. Appears that a lot of people get them from Monsterscooter. By the way, I also have and raise several exotic birds !

Attached Files:

19. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Bird looks just like ya PC.

20. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

Ok, so Harbor Freight is not selling the engines. Can you please close the thread?

If you are talking about the Lyre Bird in my signature, I think it is awesome and it makes noises that sound like a chainsaw (a popular type of engine for home-building motorized bicycles). Nothing wrong with a nature break anyway. I didn't post about birds in the thread. I like motor bicycles because I enjoy small engines and the sounds they make. They have fascinated me since I was a boy mowing yards for a summer job. I used to have a different signature and changed it. The part about the chewed up tires was a response to someone on a thread about friction drives and his dislike for them. I haven't changed it in probably a year. I forgot all about it.