Hi all from Adelaide, South Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Didz, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Didz

Didz Member

Hello everyone, I decided to join after reading a few threads here and seeing a lot of information. I think I originally found this place from searching on Google.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia which is a city mostly flat so trying to peddle up hills isn't common for me.

I have a few mates that have installed 2 stroke kits on their bikes but I am the first to be getting a 4 stroke kit so its new to all of us. I will be receiving it very soon.

I have been reading a lot about them and watched all the videos I could possibly find on YouTube. there's some great install and maintenance videos on there. It has given me enough confidence to give it a go and hope everything goes well.

I have joined the groups Australian Rollers and ADELAIDE on here.

2. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Welcome to MBc, Didz. You have come to the right place...we have a lot of great talent here. Search first, then read, then ask questions. Personally, I think you have made a wize choice going with the 4-stroke. I'l bet you will run circles around the 2-strokes, and be going strong long after a lot of the two strokes are gone.
  3. Didz

Didz Member

Yeah I think I spent a good few hours worth last night reading threads relating to 4 strokes and did a search for anything "Adelaide" related.
  4. fundreamer1

fundreamer1 New Member

If you check out my first post under "Introduce Yourself" I posted pics of the bicycle I'm about to build and the "donor" bike I'm taking a 50cc 4 stroke off of.
    What king of Bike and motor are you using? Just wondering.
  5. Didz

Didz Member

It is a HS 4 stroke in frame if I'm not mistaken. Cheap and Chinese but if I have a problem with cops its not so much a loss.

The bike is a Trek I purchased new in 2002 or 2003 with 19.5" frame and 26" wheels. It doesn't have any shocks, rim brakes instead of disk ones and click high/low shifters (not the twist shifters).
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  6. fundreamer1

fundreamer1 New Member

Can you post some pics?
  7. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

I hear that is a strong running, 4 stroke motor, altho I have never had any personql experience with it. I run a Robin-Subaru EHO35 with a gearbox from Staton-inc and have never had a [roblem with it, yet. But the key to any 4-stroke is constant, cheap, insurance...keep changing the oil and clean the filters frequently...ans they will last almost forever.
  8. tskrem

tskrem Member

im in adelaide too. i would recommend getting a rock solid engine. its a 2 stroke but would take ur mates anyday. trust me. also for $210 the brickworks have a good kit that goes hard. parts are good there aswell. check it out. you can take the torrens there so its all good. but i recommend a rock solid. i dont have much experience with teh 4 stroke kits. so cant recommend any.
  9. Didz

Didz Member

When I received the motor the tank was slightly damaged, missing tank mounts, missing bolts to mount the engine onto the plate and no petrol cap!

Seller is sending the cap and tank mounts. I went to the hardware store and got some nice bolts for the engine, they probably are better quality anyway.

The motor wont fit on my Trek but I have another bike that it fits on. I just got it back from the bike shop yesterday after getting it fixed. Ive had to modify the plate quite a bit for a good custom fit.

i'm currently assembling it right now. Engine is bolted down and ive just done the rear sprocket. Next is the chain, i came online to look for a safe way to get the master link off.

So far so good.
  10. tskrem

tskrem Member

take some photos of it. is it rear mount? how many ccs? what trek is it?

btw were are u planing to ride it and what suburb r u in. the torrens is a great bike track. try to stick to it.
  11. Didz

Didz Member

Ive only just put it together and its dark now.

Just had a test run and its working great. now i got a mess of tools in the yard to clean up
  12. tskrem

tskrem Member

sweet upload some soon, what suburb are you in?
  13. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

Didz & tskrem,
    Where in Adelaide are you guys located, we should get together and go for a run.

Cheers BJ
  14. tskrem

tskrem Member

North adelaide, however i am selling my first build and going for a rse. will be away but should be free late jan. what ride u got?
  15. tskrem

tskrem Member

i just saw ur pic and my bike atm will not be able to handle that thing! sweet! what bike is it? nice rse 50. i like ur parts. how much did it all cost?
  16. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

With the new forks (I will post another pic in the next day or two) I have spent all up about $900.00. If I were to build another I would buy a 2nd hand frame/bike and then buy a new bike from Anaconda to strip all the good bits from. It's a pity that most new bikes these days have a frame design that won't allow the fitting of an engine.

Cheers BJ
  17. tskrem

tskrem Member

yeah i buy 2nd hand bikes. my first bike i got for 25 bucks lol. anyway were are you located? also what parts do u have on ur kit from rse? i saw the exhasut and ngk lead, what else?
  18. schulze 123

schulze 123 Member

I'm located down south in Hackham West. The only items I have added to my kit apart from the pipe are the MSD ignition module, Speed carby and billet short intake.
  19. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Didz...sounds like you are doing your build the right way [slowly and carefully]...not just slapping stuff on!! Take your time and do a good job. I'm sure you have heard the old carpenter's advice..."Measure twice; cut once." Same thing applies here. Take your time and do it right the first time. Keep us posted, and send some photos of the finished machine. Good luck.
  20. Didz

Didz Member

I live in the west near the beach so I have the options of riding along Linear Park, West Lakes and the beach easily. Going from Semaphore to North Haven is also a nice ride.

I completed the build and its run great but a few days ago I ended up with some big problems.

I went to my mates place on the other side of town, along the way I had a exhaust gasket blow-out, I fixed this by filing the engine exhaust and exhaust pipe flat for a better fit, no big deal.

We decided to ride up the cycle path along the southern expressway. The engine got really hot and when I got to the top the engine started doing lower RPMs because the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Also not knowingly the gearbox screws had come loose so the shaft that goes to the chain was loose too. at some point the bearings blew and made a mess inside the gearbox.

I was still able to ride home (just). I replaced the bearings and greased them up and the chain in the gearbox too. I also replaced the bolts with better ones from the hardware store. I had not fixed the clutch yet.

Next day I went to another mates place. I knew there was something wrong with the clutch still but decided to ride anyway. You could hear something rattling in there.

When I came home I had a quick test ride and all of a sudden lost power, no more clutch lol.

Today I opened it and there was a clutch spring broken to bits (that's what what rattling around) and black powder everywhere. The pads had worn down to the metal.

Ive cleaned it all up and will get a new clutch soon, ebay seems to have them for about $10 but I don't know if they are any good.

Other than that its been great. The problems I have had have mostly been my error, since its all new to me I have learned quite a lot. Now that I have opened up the gearbox and seen the clutch I have more of an understanding and can try to avoid any problems in future.

Top speed achieved is 56km/h, it idles nicely not breaking a sweat at 35km/h.

At least I still have my other bike for peddling.