Hi everyone.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by badbeatsab, Jun 21, 2014.

1. badbeatsab

badbeatsab New Member

hi all. My name is Sab, new member on here. I have come to this forum seeking advice about motorized bikes given that I have no license for the next 18 months. :icon_cry: I am firstly considering buying a cheap motor kit off ebay, a friend of mine used to have one but I dont know how reliable they are or expected mileage/lifespan. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hi Sab, check the laws there first.
    One of the guys on Motoredbikes is Fabian who is also form Aus. I think.
    These kits are a crap-shoot but they say the newer ones are better.
    I don't have one but have been here for a while.
  3. badbeatsab

badbeatsab New Member

ok, thanks for that. Ill keep researching.
  4. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I have had great luck with the 66cc Skyhawks from here.
    $176 delivered in the US, not sure about Australia.
    (secret tip) Add what spare parts you think you might want on the forms part count and get them at 55% off as well.

If you plan to be creative with your gas tank and drive train you can get an un-assembled Skyhawk for a limited time for $99 delivered, again that free delivery is for the US.

Not recommend for a beginner as it's just engine parts, the top option is better as I have around 80 builds with that kit for local customers and only seen 2 fail, both were from trying to run them on plain gas because 'I ran out of gas and just needed to get home' type excuses.

Expensive mistakes.
    I bought a couple $99 motors anyway because the price was right and I can always use parts but prefer the full kit.

As far as the E-bay itself, and the Happy Times and BoyGoFast kits on it, I avoid them all like an STD.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Firstly you need to accept that you are totally screwed. I say this because a friend of mine is in the (Victoria Police) Highway Patrol and we both went through what options he had to issue infringement notices to me as a fully licensed driver (including motorcycle licence) and it worked out to $3,000 in traffic infringement notices.
    If he went all out, with a person suspended from driving, DUI etc, he could hit that person for nearly $6,000 worth of traffic infringements; including court orders.

As it stands, every day that i ride my motorised bicycle in Victoria, i'm risking $3,000 worth of traffic infringements if a police officer knows what he is looking at, and the Highway Patrol officers know what they are looking at.
    So far i haven't been pulled over, but i am particularly careful at how i ride, and where i ride, but, the day is coming when i come across a Police Officer who just wants to make an example of me. In saying, every day i ride, is another day closer that i come to getting $3,000 worth of traffic infringements.

That said, i enjoy riding my motorised bicycle more than the $3,000 penalty, so i am going to keep on riding my bike.