Hi from Larry in Milwaukie OR

larbear7

Local time
2:30 PM
I am new to forums and motored bikes. I am looking to add propulsion to my mountain bike for commuting to work and small jaunts here and there. I am a jack of all trades master of none. I have been and will continue to read prior posts to fill my head with knowledge. Thank you for having this forum it will help me greatly.....

Larry

Hi,
I'm in Milwaukie too! No motor yet, but a candidate that I will motor soon...

Welcome to MBc. Maybe you two can get together and help each other. There are times when a third or fourth hand would be convenient. (I spent some years living in West Linn).

Sorry I have been so busy I havn't checked to see if anyone left me a message I work a lot. I just got my kit today!

What Kit?

I got the basic 80cc "Happy Time" kit from Bob at BlueCollarBikes. Very happy with his service by the way.:)
I know the state of Oregon limits a motored bike to less than 50cc, but how is a cop supposed to know how many cc's it is. I agree with another member here, I don't think they carry calipers do you?!?:eek: Anyway I got the larger one cuz I work at OHSU and I want to be able to go up the hill. I will just have to resist the need for speed, you are not supposed to be able to go over 25mph either.

Are you sure about that?
http://www.scootonthis.com/legal.html#print_laws

It seems a motorized bicycle is defined as less than 35cc, otherwise it's a moped.

Your right! I did have that wrong.:mad: I was thinking of this passage off of the ODOT website. As long as they don't know the engine is over 35cc it is classified as a motor-assisted scooter which does not require it to be titled and registered. Technically my configuration would be clasified as a moped.:( I just hope they can't tell...

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.shtml

A motor-assisted scooter:

is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
can be propelled by human or motor;
has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.
(ORS 801.348)

You might be willing to take the risk anyway. I have tinted windows that are technically illegal (too dark), but no one ever mentioned it, even when I got a speeding ticket.

Back