Hi, from NH (+ some questions)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 4doora, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 4doora

4doora Guest

Hey, i've been lurking around this site for a few days i i just thought i'd check in:grin:
    My friend and I are contemplating building some motorized bicycles.
    I'm not going to buy a kit, because i don't really want to spend any money on this.
    I've got a few bikes (banana seat bmx style, huffy kid's banana seat bike, mountain bike, and a foldable bike)
    I'm probably going to use the foldable bike or the bmx (or a combo of both).

I'd like to build a set up so i can utilize multiple gears for the engine, and have maybe one gear for pedaling. Has anyone else done this?
    I'm looking into my options for an engine and a weed whacker seems to be the way to go. But, i'm wondering if i could use a push mower's engine instead?
    I know those engines have a vertical drive shaft, and normally operate on end, but could it be modified to run the other way?
    -thanks

2. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Hi, Do a search on building from scratch, on multiple gears, and weedwacker drives. Then ask if you can't find.
    Doc

3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Welcome to the group!

Yes the vertical shaft engine could be used. You have to use a belt and make a jack shaft with a verticle pully. Just twist the belt like on an edger. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...riggs+Lawn+Edger+4+position+height+adjustment

Dan

4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Welcome to MBc. A few have tried the multiple gear setup (including me). I decided it was more work than I was interested in putting into it. Perhaps you will come up with a breakthrough. For low cost, you might look at:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4770
    Keep in mind that these guys have built a few.

5. drimpact

drimpact Member

Welcome to MBc

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome to MBc ! :D

7. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!