Hi -- from the So. Ca. mountains

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mountainman, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Hi everyone -- Glad I found this site !! Brand new and already have learned A LOT !!! Retired man with no license -- just wanting to RIDE and get around a little. I hope that's not to hard to do -- because I live in Calif !! Have a great day, Mountainman

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Welcome to Mbc!! :cool:
  3. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Welcome Mountainman :)
  4. Mountainman

Thank you Mark -- have a good day -- HAPPY RIDING -- from Mountainman
  5. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Mountainman, how's the riding up there? Must be some nice trails.
  6. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi there. Welcome to MBc!

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :grin:
    You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to keep you motoring.
  7. Mountainman

Hi Mark -- yes, a lot of trails up here in the lower mountains of San Diego County. My main plan is to do some riding down in the big city. Don't have my motor yet -- do in this week -- Subaru 33.5 1.6hp -- just happened by this site while looking into the legal issues --- Mountainman with no drivers licence... Have a great day
  8. Feng

Feng New Member

Hey Mountainman,

Welcome. I'm new here too.

I'm up the coast in Santa Barbara. Hope to be buying my motor next week. Also leaning towards the Subaru 33.5 ... the friction drive as this will be my first and seems to be a good way to get the feet wet in motored biking.
  9. Mountainman

Hi Feng -- welcome from another new to site.. So you have decided on the same engine as I. I hope that you have much fun. Mine is do in this week. Not sure what to expect -- but -- have always -- LOVE TO RIDE !!! Do you have a M-2 license -- or -- just going to go for it ? Have a great day, from Mountainman
  10. Feng

Feng New Member

Just a regular CA drivers license.

Long ago I tried to learn to ride a motorcycle but the only time I had the nerve was when I was drunk ... oddly enough that particular strategy ended badly more than once.

I was an avid cyclist, but that got curtailed due to chronic health problems. This will be my venture back in to open air transportation.

Did you buy from Staton-Inc?
  11. Egor

Egor Guest

HI Mountainman - If you are retired and I will guess you are at the age of retirement you have the (Age Free Pass), I mean the cop will look at you and go "Its an old guy" comes with the territory. The more the thing looks like a bicycle the better, I have one that is chancy at best, and will do near 40, the law is 29MPH. I would not worry I have a class A-M1 and I never get to use it. You are going to have a blast with your new ride. I'm up here in Long Beach, we go up and down the river path's. Have fun, Dave

PS: What bike are you going to use? My next is going to be a Recumbent.
  12. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I would lean towards a chain drive as it is so efficient and has no real loss of power. Friction is the worst offender for loss of power due to slippage, especially if wet. I went with a Staton drive also. Glad you both are here. You will like the community I think...;)
  13. Mountainman

Hi Feng --- yes, bought mine from Station-Inc. also.. Ordered it just a couple of days before I found this site.. Price seemed to be pretty fair. From the way in which the specks read, should be fairly long lasting...and give us some good service. HAPPY RIDING FENG -- from Mountainman
  14. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

Feng and Mountainman, I have the Robin-Subaru 35cc on a 26" mountain bike...could that be the same motor as the one you've ordered?

Anyways, I got the California DMV registration form with the questionnaire....like: does it run 30mph? Yeah, unfortunately because I weigh 155 lbs, the bike really goes. So they consider mine a moped. Already have an M1 on my driver's license...Moped registration costs $18.00 a year in Southern California. Oh well, at least if I get stopped, I've covered my rear end. Now I gotta ask my insurance company if I have to insure it.
  15. Feng

Feng New Member

Hi Mark,

I'm 220 right now and my bike is 45 lbs before water, lock, lights, bell and underseat storage bag for my gold bullion. I can't imagine I'll get pulled over for speeding.
  16. Mountainman

Hey Dave -- thanks for the welcome brother -- yes, oh yes I am hoping the old guy look will save me from the pooolice !! Happy riding from Mountainman
  17. Mountainman

Hi Mark -- although new to this -- sounds like the same motor -- although the specks said 33.5 not 35.. Does your's rub on the wheel ? Mine will be. If so - how is that tire holding up ? Happy riding from Mountainman
  18. Mountainman

Lennyharp -- yes you are all so right --- I had better get ready to be buying many tires !!! I went with this model thinking that the cops -- might not catch their eye ---- hoping anyway... No drivers license ! Happy riding from Mountainman
  19. mark2yahu

mark2yahu Member

subaru and drive system

:cool: Mountainman, I've got that geared belt drive system from Golden Eagle Bike Engines (gebe). It's holding up real well; no problem at all except if I get a flat :( I have to take off the engine/mount, kill switch wire, throttle cable link, and chain. So, to lessen the odds of getting a flat, I went to walmart and bought one of those "Slime" brand "Smart inner tubes" that are 5x thicker than regular inner tubes; and it has that bright green tire sealant inside.

Feng, just make sure those gold bullions are nice and secure :D ha-ha!
    I was really surprised i got to 30 mph. 20 is scary fast already, and i'm perfectly happy cruising at 18mph.

Guys, when you get your kits delivered to your door, howabout a photodocumentary on the build?
  20. Mountainman

Mark -- thank you for the information --- dang - my wife just called me from Wal-Mart an hour or so ago -- I could have had her pick me up some SLIME !!! That's a good idea... from, Mountainman