Hi , Guys has anyone heard of a Spudnik bicycle engine ???

Andry

Local time
8:16 AM
Hi everyone , Today i went to check out some old 2 stroke mower engines in a old blokes garage , This guy was a " HOARDER " so much stuff it was hard to keep your eyes focused, spend 2 hours climbing over stuff to check out these old engines , The blokes 65 year old son said his dad had a Spudnik engine in there somewhere that drove a bicycles front wheel , has anyone heard of one before or did he pronounce it wrong ? . cheers and thanks for the help.

I remember them, I always wanted one as a kid but couldn't scrape up the change, and being that this was pre-internet days but still a couple decades after they were made you just had to hope to god someone had one at a swap meet. they predate the riga engines our motors are based on by at least 5 years.

I just thought the idea of driving the front wheel was so cool as opposed to the rear a la whizzer

they were called sputnik engines by the way, named after the satellite the soviets launched in '57. they were real proud of that thing.

not many of them ever made it to the states being that mccarthyism was still alive and well, so there isn't all that much info online about them in english. you might be able to find it if you know how to type in russian, but I sure don't. I found out about them at a swap meet in Mobile around 1991 or 1992, but I had already spent all the money I brought on a set of dirt bike wheels, so no sputnik for me unfortunately.

Last edited:
ok awesome news , I have been told that one is buried somewhere in the garage of assorted stuff , what do you think its worth , i have heeps of stationary engines and mowers but havent come across anything like this before , really appreciate the comment mate .

rare niche things like that, it's just worth whatever someone is willing to pay. maybe $20 to one guy, maybe $2000 to the next. I haven't seen one for sale in about 10 years so nobody is really quite sure what they're worth today since there's no precedent.

Hi everyone , Today i went to check out some old 2 stroke mower engines in a old blokes garage , This guy was a " HOARDER " so much stuff it was hard to keep your eyes focused, spend 2 hours climbing over stuff to check out these old engines , The blokes 65 year old son said his dad had a Spudnik engine in there somewhere that drove a bicycles front wheel , has anyone heard of one before or did he pronounce it wrong ? . cheers and thanks for the help.
That is really Pronounce Spit-Neck Let me tell you how my backyard satellite got its name: I wasrepostioning one of my satellites in Scottsdale Az. When a marine pulled up with 2 reporters said we are trackig the first radio transmission from space-what is that in yor hand? I said its a control to a rusty old satellite changing the orbit. He scream to the newsmen Russian owned satellite quick get on air before they bomb us. Just then I was taking a refreshment drink laugh and caugh said I got spit down my neck wipe it with the back of my hand the marine yelled Russian Owned Satellite name Sputnik quick hurry get on the news before were dead! About 2 weeks late Russian diplomatss came from the embassy with guns wanted to shoot me for war mongering trying to start WW III.

That is really Pronounce Spit-Neck Let me tell you how my backyard satellite got its name: I wasrepostioning one of my satellites in Scottsdale Az. When a marine pulled up with 2 reporters said we are trackig the first radio transmission from space-what is that in yor hand? I said its a control to a rusty old satellite changing the orbit. He scream to the newsmen Russian owned satellite quick get on air before they bomb us. Just then I was taking a refreshment drink laugh and caugh said I got spit down my neck wipe it with the back of my hand the marine yelled Russian Owned Satellite name Sputnik quick hurry get on the news before were dead! About 2 weeks late Russian diplomatss came from the embassy with guns wanted to shoot me for war mongering trying to start WW III.
Only a Russian diplomat would use a gun in their efforts to be diplomatic.. This story must be true.

Only a Russian diplomat would use a gun in their efforts to be diplomatic.. This story must be true.
I'm not lying they do have security such as KGB in those days with an American grudge that was begining to inflame due to some knuckle heads!

Back