Hi... just bought first motorized bicycle.... and I broke it.. Huffy Cruiser

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mwagner72, Apr 17, 2010.

1. mwagner72

mwagner72 New Member

Ok, so I'm new to motorized bicycles.... and yeah I should have done more research before buying the bike I got...

Brand New Bike... Brand new motor... Price was great.

But I don't think the builder new about the crappy bolts that came with the kits... only after a couple hours the front engine bolts sheared off....

I managed to get one out with a screw out kit.. but I trashed the second one... so that engine case is a paper wieght now... anyone know if I can get a replacement case anywhere?

No matter what I'm gonna buy another engine kit cuase I want to build one myself.

So I am gonna buy a new engine kit and would really like some opinions on the best kit to get for the cruiser.

I super appreciate any and all help...

Mark Wagner

Mesa, Arizona

Attached Files:

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hi Mark. Welcome to Motoredbikes!
    In case you didn't bugger up the broke off stud- pick up a set of left handed drills from Harbor freight and try to drill out the stud. I love left hand drills- they usually bite in and spin right out.
  3. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

I Also needed to get one extracted. and since have gotten Grade A bolts to hold up to the vibrations. and I wraped some Ele. tape around the frame in the mount area to dedden the vibrations and doubled the lock washers and seems to be working. Sylacone works to fix a leak in a tank for 2 weeks so far.
  4. mwagner72

mwagner72 New Member

yeah I messed up the bolt on one side

yeah I messed up the bolt on one side

so at least one mounting bolt in the front wont work

but here's what I did...

I took off the standard chain guard and dropped the whole engine down about an inch... and set the front engine case in the groove

it seems to be working

Attached Files:

5. seth.brazell

seth.brazell New Member

What kit did you buy?

I'm just curious, I have have a Bike Berry kit on the way, Flying Horse 80cc. Don't want to run into the same problem. Anyone know if I should just replace the factory bolts outright?
  6. professor

professor Active Member

Seth, one of the recommended thing to do is replace those junk bolts with good ones. I do not have a kit, but I have read over and over about how bad the fasteners are on them.
  7. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Broken Bolts

I have broke 2 of the bolts that came with kit for mounting to frame. I had one extracted (it was broke in hole) by sm. engine shop $15 bucks but better and easier than tap and die. Since then i have gotten high grade bolts from Fastenal and good so far. I also had one bolt vibrate out so i doubled lock washers and check it here and there.
  8. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Didnt realize i alwready said that. my bad:jester::dunce:
  9. mwagner72

mwagner72 New Member

is there item numbers or something for the bolts you got from fastenal??

I have another engine on its way and I want to build it with good bolts from the very start.

10. birddog1148

birddog1148 Member

With a non ferrous case, an easy way to extract broken steel bolts is to place a nut over the broken stud/bolt and fill in the center with weld if you have a MIG. The weld wont stick to alluminum, only the steel bolt. I learned this trick from some of my VW buddies, all our Type 1 air cooled engines are alloy and it works great, espessially on broken exhaust studs.
  11. azbill

azbill Active Member

welcome from FH :)
    always good to change the stock fasteners with better ones
    (take one of each size to ace and match them up :))
  12. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Sorry mwagner i dont. I just brang what i had and told em what i was looking for. Birddog i wish i had a welder.
  13. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Sorry Wrong thread

I learned the hard way.