Hi. Just got a zoombicycle engine.

zelig

Local time
10:13 AM
Hi. I recently bought a 49cc limited edition engine from zoombicycles. (Although it says 68.5 cc on the engine). And today I just bought a diamondback edgewood for $150 on clearance. But it has 32 spoke rims and the sprocket doesn't fit perfectly. The tires are 28 inch by 1 5/8 inch. And the rims are thin. Maybe not a good bike to put this engine on. But I love the bike because it's tall. Anyway, I'm a welder by trade and this is my first attempt at a motored bike build. I test rode a 49 cc about a month ago and I was hooked. P.S. I'm from Rhode Island

Last edited:
I had to enlarge my sprocket some to get it on. Welcome, these are kits for people who like to tinker. Once size does not fit all :) I am sure being a welder, you will have some great ideas. Look forward to your results. Zip tie the spockes, and it will be good enought to get started. :)

Thanks for the advice. I talked to a bike shop guy today. I'm thinking of just buying a 36 spoke wheel. The one that came on the bike is quick release and I think I read that the torque of the engine might be too powerful for it. My other idea is to just buy a cheap beach cruiser at walmart for my first build.

Just took my first ride a few minutes ago. I ended up installing the pk-50L engine on a $12 mountain bike from the salvation army. I couldn't get it started at first so I went to zoombicycle's web page and realized that I installed the carburetor upside down. lol. A quick fix and it started right up. What a blast. I took it for a 20 minute ride and opened it up a couple times. Don't know how fast I was going but it was faster than I want to go on a rinky dink mountain bike. I also took it down a dirt path by the river near my house and lost the gas cap but I backtracked and found it. I'm not very mechanically inclined but these engines aren't very complex and I found that installing it myself was a fun learning experience. Can't wait till tomorrow after work. Thank God the weather's finally getting nice.

Howdy and welcome.

I motorized a Dback Edgewood for my wife's bike, I don't use the HT engines though. I put a rack mount 4 stroke on it and it is a sweet ride particularly with the low rolling resistance of big wheels.

BTW, they are the 700C size and I'd be surprised if you can find them with 36 spokes.

Where in Row Dialan are ya?

Hey Happy Valley. I'm in Pawtucket. I'm interested in what kind of rack mount you put on your wife's bike. I like the HT engine for messing around but I plan to eventually get a 4 stroke for the Edgewood. Is your wife's bike chain drive? I found a cool bike shop called Providence Cycle. They had a nice 36 spoke rim there but it was about $150. Too steep for me at the moment. I've been researching gebe, staton, and dax, etc. trying to figure out the best way to go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zelig, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are from RI.....Classical High grad here :)

Hey Skyliner. Tolman grad here. Just went for my second ride today. Started right up. I'm impressed. Took the bike down by the railroad tracks. Doesn't do too good on the whoop-de-doos. ha ha. Anyone know how I can start a new thread? I can't seem to figure it out.

Back