Hi there =)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gilesthealmighty, May 3, 2008.

1. S'up!

Greetings all, i'm a new member and i'm from the UK! greets to all you Britts and hola to the rest of you guys :grin:

i've been browsing the forum and just generally reading up on this stuff and decided to make my own! I thought it would be more fun to build from scratch rather than from a kit

So i've got my trusty mountain bike with no brakes (these WILL be fixed =P) and bought a 31cc Honda Gx31 off ebay! (will arrive next week)

the Gx31 has a clutch assembly but no drum, so i've bought a Mini Moto Gearbox, which has the clutch drum and is a 2.8:1 reduction also! with a sprocket on the other end! and this will bolt nicely onto the engine!

so yeah i'm going for a chain drive! and working on a way to dissengage the chain to minimise friction while pedaling without the engine running, as legalities are unknown

bringing me onto my next point .. has ANYONE been CAUGHT with a motorized bike??? if so whats happened?! Specifically in the UK!?

yes yes yes i did do some seearching but not sure how to phrase it to get any results that are useful!

anyway this looks a fun place to be! i'll post as little as i can because reading can get you anywhere! =) woop woop!

Ciao for niow!

2. quay1962

quay1962 Guest

ello

welcome to MBc...

the police here in washington, specicifically where i live, they have looked into the things but can find no real description on them...the best defense is to arm yourself with the basics and talk to others in your area by going to members and seeing who all might be in your area, also if you go to the top left and click usercp there you can add your location and change things to your liking...i did find this:
    illinois state regulatiions but some might apply in your area...
    hope this helps good luck too! here check this thread as well:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2008
  3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

aloha; try members list, find countrymen, ask questions and be fulfilled. ride on

4. hellbilly

hellbilly Guest

Welcome to MBC and good luck with your project. Hope you will post some pics as you bring iy along.

5. dbigkahunna

dbigkahunna Guest

Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

6. cheers guys! youve made me feel very welcomed!

thanks for the links theyre very useful!

i'm currently arming myself with a "play dumb" strategy and a "i was pedaling, does that mean i have to have a license!" kinda thing!

i've never seen a powered bicycle near me ever so the police will have no clue whatsoever what to think! =P

7. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hi giles. Welcome to MBc!

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :grin:}
    Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

8. BSA

BSA Guest

Welcome to the forum.

BSA