High cigarette taxes & new PACT law

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dougsr.874, Apr 12, 2010.

1. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I have been ordering cigs. from NY. Today I received notice that Obama and Congress passed a law that prohibits the shipment of tobacco products by the USPS. The business also said that by an agreement with the state of NY, that they could not ship by Fedex or UPS.

Now I fully realize the consequences of smoking....but it is my choice....

Question is: Dose anyone have an answer around this situation?

2. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

Fire the politicians that created the situation.

Hope and Change baby!!!!!! How's it working out for you?
  3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

While I'm not a fan of smoking I am less a fan of legislation that makes something (that is not inherently dangerous) illegal by the stroke of a pen.
    Shipping tobacco products isn't dangerous unless the stuff is lit!
    Have you checked out any other states that may not have the same kind of agreement that binds NY sellers from shipping via FedEx or UPS?
    Also, as this thread is not in the Combustion Chamber, let's try to keep politics at an absolute minimum and try to help dougsr.874 to find a solution.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. kerf

kerf Guest

You should make your purchase in a legal manner, from a vendor in your community. It's patriotic to pay taxes, right?
  5. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism...a quote from Bill C's wife.
  6. kerf

kerf Guest

Apparently, patriotism can be whatever helps ones position at that particular moment.
  7. Gh0stRider

Gh0stRider Banned

If cheap smokes are what you're after, try buying bulk tobacco and a cigarette making machine. A guy at work makes his own cigarettes for about 20 bucks a carton. He gets the empty cigarette tubes and tobacco at a local smoke shop.

Quitting would also work, but seeing as how the president can't quit, (and he apparently drinks a lot too) I can't blame you if you continue to smoke. I wonder if the president cares that cigs cost 8 bucks a pack, most of which is taxes. But he only smokes "about 8 a day". Yeah, right - another lie.
  8. kerf

kerf Guest

Good point about rolling your own. I don't fool with cigarettes but there's a tobacco shop in my community that has a rolling machine. Customers buy the papers and bulk tobacco there and use the machine to mass produce their own smokes. Don't know if they charge for using the machine but it must be cheaper, when I saw it, people were in line.
  9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

So, how do you deal with the high costs of your own addiction?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  10. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

i guess you could say...when I have to find crazy out of state loopholes to avoid excessive taxation.

could be coming soon....