High Speed Miss

By the way, I called this a high speed miss- that's not really right. It's bogging.

success!!!

I took one more stab at it last night. I took the air cleaner housing off I had built. I built the first housing a year ago and used it without trouble. I made a new one because I wanted a slightly different look, but I THOUGHT that I did not change the functionality at all. I had tested it without the air cleaner cover before, but not without the whole housing.

Here's the thing. Take a look at picture 1, below (this actually a pic of a HS carb originally posted by Salfter, but it looks the samw other than the finishing on the Honda looks a bit finer).

On either side of the intake runner, you can see a hole (not the mounting holes). The hole on the left melds into the runner. The hole on the left is separate. When I ran without the air cleaner housing, it ran perfect and smooth. When I looked closely, I saw that the gasket I had me (me screwing up), had the hole on the right in the wrong place so that hole was covered. As soon as I modified the gasket and opened that hole, made sure the housing was fully unrestricted in that area, and reinstalled everything, it ran perfectly. I took it for a 4 or 5 mile ride before work, ran very nice.

CASE CLOSED!

Attachments

• dscn3108.jpg
    dscn3108.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 257
Ran perfectly on the 16 mile ride to work this morning. Pulled well- so happy about this, I don't know what to do!

HoughMade,
From what you say I think it's most likely the air\fuel mix. There are 2 screws on the carb - the black idle speed one and the air\fuel mix one below it to the left. It's easier to tune the air\fuel screw from new but if you turn it one way you'll starve the motor and the other way you'll flood it. By turning it until it begins to starve you then go half a turn to 3/4 turn back until it runs smooth again. If your valve gaps are correct which they are it should run sweet. Forgive me if you know all this but that's how I solved a similar problem on my HS. I messed about with valves and screws etc until a mechanic showed me how to get it sweet. I think fuel line probs are rare. Your tank would have been cleaned during your assembly and it would take a really serious blockage to starve the carb of the tiny amount of fuel flow it requires.
Could also be that now that your motor is Imperial measure and the carb is still metric the motor gets confused doing the conversion tables!
Sorry HoughMade, I see you solved it. Gasket problem - that's what I meant to suggest!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran perfectly on the 16 mile ride to work this morning. Pulled well- so happy about this, I don't know what to do!

Why don't you get rid of your 56T sprocket to celebrate and try a 48T if you haven't already done so.

Did it a long time ago.

That accounts for the fact that our speeds are so similar. I should have counted the sprockets on your great pictures before I wrote that - sorry. I wish I could find a use for all the 56Ts I have lying around and I wish I didn't have to shell out for a 48T plus postage every time I bought a Grubee kit. There are very few people in MBc it seems still using that 56T sprocket yet Grubee still keep including them as standard in their kits.

I guess I lucked out. My kit came with both. At my size (6'3" 220#+) and the performance the 48 returns, seems like it would work for 98% of people.

Back