Highway 1.... morro bay to Monterrey with the teardrop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by give me vtec, Oct 20, 2009.

1. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

My wife and I took our first adventure with the new teardrop trailer last weekend. All I can say is that you have to get one of these things... whether you hunt, fish, camp, backpack, travel with the wife, or (insert adventure here), you gotta do yourself a favor and at least check these things out for your self. This thing was amazing... it only weighs 1400 lbs so it towed very easily, even up the steep curves going north on the 1. It has a queen sized bed and 12 volt/ 110 electricity so you can have every modern convenience including a a little toaster oven or coffee maker. You wouldn't believe how much room there is once you get in... This one is an off road version that has skid plates and a pintle hitch that lets it go almost anywhere I can get my jeep and I still got 16 mpg.

We started at morro strand, and went all the way up to the Monterrey bay aquarium stopping at Hearst castle and big sur along the way. I have been to Hearst castle before but never actually made the whole trip all the way up to Carmel and Monterrey.

I know it wasn't the rubicon trail but we wanted to take it easy and test the water with our new trailer.... my wife named the jeep and trailer frank the tank and fred the bed. Next summer we are planning a cross country trip to yellowstone and the tetons.

Here are some pics... hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

cool jeep!I think a pop up woulda been better for stretching out in the morning.

do you think my bike would pull a teardrop?lol.

when i was 21 me and my brother toured the country and we went by the grand tetons and then thru yellow stone.its nice out there,one of the best spots in the country as far as im concerned.cali and oregon are the only two states i havent been to west of the mississippi.but i plan on getting there one day.

if you look close in picture#4,you can see mountain man standing on that small mountain to the right of your jeep!I see you MM.LOL

3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Vetec......dont bounce the misses around to much ...we will be calling you Dr.Vetec...

4. give me vtec

lol... we made it home just in time. She is due any day.

About the popup... dont need it. We have one of those too and I hate it. We never use it so my dad gave it to my sister. Its a hassle more than anything.

The teardrop has a TON of room inside... you wouldn't think something like that would be accommodating but I swear a claustrophobic could sleep in there no prob. It has this industrial strength fan on the top and windows with vents... so it gets plenty of circulation.... very comfortable. To stretch out, we got the optional 10x10 enclosed tent that attaches to the side.

here is a link to the website so you can check out the galley and sleeping area... sorry but I didnt take any pics of the inside.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

then I guess it will be ...Daddy Vtec...don't forget my cigar

6. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

ewwwwwweeeeeeeeeeee that things pricey!!

7. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

i can see where it would be good for getting off the beaten trail a little bit and still having a soft bed.

8. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Hey vtec that is the nicest tear drop I've seen yet. Seen a couple of old ones rebuilt but no new ones that come close to that one of yours. Looks like you should be Alaska bound.

When that baby arrives you won't have much time to post. I was there twice. All the best with the birth. Keep us posted.

Steve.

9. give me vtec

thanks guys... If you give me some addresses I will be happy to send the cigars.

10. give me vtec

wasn't that bad... we found a demo model down in san diego at a little guy dealership that we got a good price on. Well worth every penny.... it will pay for itself in saved hotel costs.... we travel a lot.

On the trip I posted above... we only spent about $180 for 3 days at the beach. Which included food and tickets to the places we went. Cant beat that.

11. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Vtec..just kidding about the cigars...you can post a picture of your new hobby though

12. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Yep, and rolling over and saying "it's your turn" only works once in a while.
    They tend to remind you that you played a part in the miracle.

As my late wife used to point out"as short a time as that was."

Steve.

13. give me vtec

I was too...

Will definitely post pics as we go. I plan on buying an expensive camera to document all the fun. Look forwards to big things.

14. Excellent! Keep us posted, Dad.

15. mikem

mikem Member

16. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Congrats on the future little one! Stinky green filled diapers are not one of my favorite memories....
    Back to the subject....
    I have always liked the look of the teardrop trailers but I could never fit in one.
    Yours looks real nice!
    I sleep on a California King mattress and my feet still hang over the end.
    There is a trailer place near my work and I have seen what looks to be extended length teardrops. That really piqued my intrest! Perhaps after the economy recovers I can afford to play out this idea..... :)

17. give me vtec

Do you post on the teardrops and tiny trailers forum... are you the one with the pic of the mb on the back of a teardrop?

18. mikem

mikem Member

Teardrops

vtec,
    I just discoverd the teardrop sites 2 or 3 nights ago. That's not me with the pic of the MB on the back of a teardrop. I haven't tried posting on their forum yet but might get into it this winter. I just think the little trailers are cool. Simple seems to always be better and with the tent attachment I imagine you have plenty of room.?

19. mikem

mikem Member

Long Teardrop

GearNut,
    Just thought you might be interested in these plans for a long teardrop trailer.

Extended Teardrop
    http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear47.htm

More Teardrop Plans
    http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  20. give me vtec

nice links... are you building one?