Hill-climb up to Vista Chinesa in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Ollie

Local time
7:37 AM
This was my second attempt, last time my rear hub locked up in the frame and unscrewed itself shortly after entering the national park. I managed to get home on a very wobbly back wheel. I was lucky the chain stayed on.

This time I had some strong 36 hole, 12g spoked wheels and a new 'performance' carburetor. I had to give it a lot of assistance and five stops to let the engine cool down, but eventually it got me to Vista Chinesa ('Chinese View' in English), a pagoda-like structure built up in the mountains next to a fantastic view of the city.

From the start of the national park, the route climbs over 1350 feet in under 3 miles. The average grade is 9.1% and 14% at it's steepest.

I stopped whenever there was an area flat enough to re-start the engine, but at one point I stalled on a steep section. Starting the bike and getting enough momentum to get going again was nigh-on impossible so I had to push it to the next flat-ish section. I almost got hit by a car while trying to get it going on the narrow road.

Here's my bike half-way up:
Untitled.jpg

My bike at the information board:
route.jpg
And the view from the pagoda:
myhouse.jpg

It was a fun experience, but I doubt I'll do it again for the sake of the engine. A shift kit would have been ideal, but unfortunately I can't easily get my hands on one.

@Fabian:
It's the 100% import tax on anything over $50 that's the issue. It would cost me almost the current value of my bike, plus postage. I'm scheming up a 3-speed motorcycle instead, using my spare engine and a Sturmey Archer S3X hub that my mate is going to bring over when he visits from England.

The hub is a 3-speed, but with no freewheel, so it can run forwards or backwards like a fixie hub. That means I can flip the wheel over and have the engine running straight to the hub's sprocket without needing a jackshaft. That should result in a light, hill-climbing bike! That probably won't be for a year or so, though.

Ollie, Looks just like where I live in Western NC. I can ride a mile and a half down the road then it climbs 1000 + feet in 3 miles. The switch backs in your photo looks just like our switch backs. I am still breaking in a motor , and like you have a single speed cruiser . I like the idea of flipping the wheel to give you the gearing. Has anyone out there done this? And what was the outcome. Take into concideration our terrain.

@Zen builder:
I started a thread about it but it seems nobody has tried it yet.

An important consideration is that when the hub is flipped, there is no easy way to attach a normal freewheel for pedaling. That would legally make it a motorcycle in the US I think.

Here in Brazil the law only requires unregistered motor vehicles to be under 50cc and not go faster than 50km/h.

Totally had a mind freeze when not considering having a pedal chain if the wheel is flipped. I keep going back to a drum brake set up on both axles , and internal 3 speed in the rear hub. Just not sure what parts to use. I don't want external gears, as I am building to resemble a board tracker.

I love the looks and low-maintenance of drum brakes. I get you mean; a vintage-style bike would look strange with a derailleur.

Back