Crashes Hit by a car while riding

Hey Stan4rd....don't know why, but that struck me as funny.....one hit wonders. :giggle:

This was a DOT motorcycle helmet and the chip is just about 1cm out of the black finish exposing white underneath. I'm no expert by any means but i wouldn't imagine there is any structural damage. It's more of a cosmetic issue it seems. I could be wrong. Looks like it probably scratched the edge of a rock.

This was a DOT motorcycle helmet and the chip is just about 1cm out of the black finish exposing white underneath. I'm no expert by any means but i wouldn't imagine there is any structural damage. It's more of a cosmetic issue it seems. I could be wrong. Looks like it probably scratched the edge of a rock.

Replacing Your Helmet
Replace your helmet if it was involved in a crash; it probably absorbed
some impact shock. Some helmet manufacturers will inspect and,
when possible, repair a damaged helmet. If you drop your helmet and
think it might be damaged, take advantage of this service.
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every
two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then,
replace it sooner.
Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the
shell could be chipped or damaged. The best reason is that helmets
keep improving. Chances are that the helmet you buy in a couple of
years will be better - stronger, lighter, and more comfortable - than
the one you own now. It might even cost less!
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSi.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're not hurt badly, Will.

Is Fort Gordon still there? I was stationed in August in 1967.

Well the injuries ended up being much worse than I thought. Severed 5 ligaments and had partial tears in two others. Two surgeries, one was 11 hours, 4 months on bed rest, 8 months on crutches. **** of a year!
But I'm walking much better now, and hitting therapy like a madman.

We should still be on for the 15,000 mile trek in May 2012.

5-7 heaven: Fort Gordon is still here. NSA has a massive installation out here now too so a lot of listening goes on there. My dad works out there. He has had two colleagues in under a year killed while ridding their bikes in Augusta. Dangours town to be on two wheels.

Thanks Anton, just saw your reply!

Loquin, you are quite right about the therapy. Fortunately, I have a degree in Occupational Therapy so I went way above and beyond on the therapy and ended up with a knee that, while it isn't nearly as strong and reliable as it was before, it impressed most of the medical staff at my sports medicine doc's place.

Well the injuries ended up being much worse than I thought. Severed 5 ligaments and had partial tears in two others. Two surgeries, one was 11 hours, 4 months on bed rest, 8 months on crutches. **** of a year!
But I'm walking much better now, and hitting therapy like a madman.

We should still be on for the 15,000 mile trek in May 2012.

I was @ Ft. Gordon from May-October 1967. My buddy and I rented Honda 50 scooters for a day, to ride in Augusta. Traffic wasn't too bad back then.

Glad you're in good shape to make that trek. Keep us posted.

5-7 heaven: Fort Gordon is still here. NSA has a massive installation out here now too so a lot of listening goes on there. My dad works out there. He has had two colleagues in under a year killed while ridding their bikes in Augusta. Dangours town to be on two wheels.

I was @ Ft. Gordon from May-October 1967. My buddy and I rented Honda 50 scooters for a day, to ride in Augusta. Traffic wasn't too bad back then.

Glad you're in good shape to make that trek. Keep us posted.

Back