hobart indiana floods due to ike

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by eltatertoto, Sep 16, 2008.

1. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

well the past few days have been interesting due to all the rain, we have been having major floods. as a result, we have lost 2 bridges, and have been declared a disaster area. of course i had to go see so here are some vids. i included some pics, of the (to locals) wisconsin street bridge, and the 3rd street bridge. the wisconsin stret bridge is cracked bad in 5 places, and the 3rd street bridge has chunks of sidewalk missing, along with cracks, with the severity unknown.

1st video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx8vEae1k2k

2nd video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9beTHXSaVo

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Over 11 inches of rain at my house- some of it in my kitchen. However, when I see what happened so close by- I've got nothing to complain about.

I tried to come home from church down 73rd on Sunday- encountered a section of 73rd that was collapsed- a 20 foot long section of the road, the full width of the road was 8 feet further down than it should be and there was a truck nose down in it. No people, but they hadn't fished the truck out yet.

Tried to get home down Ridge- over 3 feet deep in 2 places, around a foot in a few others- still over a foot in one place Monday...and I stupidly drove my Grand Am through it- made it, but nervous.

Finally got to 700 North (Sunday), that road had at least 6 areas with water over the road between 8 inches and a a little over a foot- went though that, but was driving my van, so was not as nervous.

When I got back to South Haven, the west end had several streets completely flooded- saw what turned out to be a Mercury Couger with just the roof showing (went back the next day). Water was over 3 feet there, maybe over 4. Several other cars underwater and some huses as well. Luckily, there aren't many basements in my neighborhood or we all probably would have been flooded. 700 North was closed 100 yards east of where my street comes off it because a creek was now running over the road.

My house was dry until Monday morining at 3:45am when we found that a roof leak had soaked the kitchen ceailing and a section of the ceiling came down. Patched the roof Monday afternoon- had a valley on the roof with broken shingles- still have to do the drywall- but like I said- I am thankful my issue was pretty small.

Tater, you are young, but chances are you will never see rain like we got again in your life.
  3. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

sounds like you got it pretty bad by you too. my aunt said that to make a 20min trip from where she works on i65 to my grandma's neighborhood on 712, it took her 2 hours and 30 minutes. then she had to backtrack to get to her house on 600 north