Home Built Disc Brake

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tremont MC, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

Hi, I finished fine tuning this brake I built recently and am pleased with the way it performs. It uses Avid pads and some various specialty springs, bolts and shim material to set it up properly. Total out of pocket was $ 21 for pads. I used a milling machine, surface grinder, and die grinder and put it together in about 2 weeks. I've seen custom motorcycles using the sprocket as the brake disc , and thought I'd give it a try. I found it important that special care be given to position the rear wheel parallel to the frame rail which mounts the caliper anchor. Then, its a simple matter to set caliper position with feelers

Attached Files:

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Great. So your sprocket is your rotor.
    I always thought the best way to position the caliper was between the seat stay and chain stay, as you did.
    Seems like early disk brake calipers (1970s) from shimano and others were mounted like yours.
  3. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

DIY Disk

Pretty clever, and definitely a tour d'force of shade tree fabrication.

My reservation would be the possibility of grease from the chain or oil from the exhaust messing with your pads.
  4. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

I was skeptical as well, but...

when I first heard of this idea for motorcycles, I thought this is nothing more than a solution looking for a problem, and I worried about chain grease too. But the debris from the chain is thrown from outside the radius of where the pads sit and doesn't get near them. That being said, This seems to be a practical way to get disc brakes while having a chain and sprocket on both sides of the wheel
  5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

One of the more clever DIY mods I seen here, nice job. Let's us know how it holds up in service.
  6. biken stins

biken stins Member

Impressive. Nice work.
  7. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

That looks real good.
    I have seen many and worked on some sprotor brakes on Harleys and it is true; If you do not get carried away with lubing the chain the sprocket-rotor (or sprotor) will not get lubed up.
    However, do not neglect proper lubing the chain out of fear of lubing your brakes.
    Doing so will ruin the chain and sprockets.
  8. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

You understand

to give credit, I got my inspiration for this project from a custom motorcycle builder called Exile. As far as I know they were the first to offer a sprocket brake and as you know it was for Harleys.
  9. ratty

ratty New Member

This is very nice work. Very good craftsmanship, if I do say.
  10. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

Thanks...now that I've completed this mission, I await my next.:thinking:
  11. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Yes, Exile Cycles was the first company do do a sprotor brake. And they have been very sucessful with it.
    So sucessful in fact that other companies have copycated them.
    If copying is the sincerest form of flattery.....
  12. possenti

possenti Member

I like it. Would it be practical to have a set-up like this on the front wheel? No sprocket, of course, but a rotor (or 2) secured to the spokes with a rag joint?
  13. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

OK: Make one for ME!
  14. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

I've given it thought, and havn't ruled it out...maybe utilize a circular saw blade for a rotor...then again a working disc brake kit from one of the venders is a practical solution to front brake installations because both sides of the axle are available to install a rotor on a front wheel
  15. mmachine

mmachine Member

love it

The only thing stopping me from making one is the tools, jealous.
  16. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Now that would be a wicked looking front brake!
  17. Quadranut

Quadranut Member

Hey Tremont

Nice fab job. I do however have a question of where you got the rims and tires. I need something large such as what you have in your pics.

18. Tremont MC

Tremont MC New Member

tire and rim is stock

its all stock to this bike as it is a Schwinn Stingray with the 4 inch rear tire. Keep in mind wide tires like this require lots of offset on the motor mount too...
  19. fredc

fredc New Member

could you make me one?

tremont impressive work. could you make me one? i really need one for my upcoming project.
  20. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Hi Tremont MC

Now that is inspired design - love it - Very, very clever .
    Al you need to do now, is make the caliper and sprocker in low volume production for members of this site.

It's resourceful people like you who are so valuable to others, even if it's providing inspiration to get creative and inventive themselves.

Again Tremont MC - Well done; big thumbs up from me.

Cheers Fabian