~~Home Built Jet Powered Trike~~

All I would suggest is that you fabricate a heavy duty shield between your posterior and the engine's exterior...

Otherwise, you could end up with some amazing scars to show the grandchildren!

I wanted to build a turbo-based jet one year. I never did it, but I'll relate my experiences as far as they went:

I went around to local auto salvage yards and asked about junk turbos they had, and most didn't have any at all--they would pull the turbos (and blowers too) off any car they got, because these are high-dollar parts with a big exchange fee. They send them off for the rebuild deposit because if a customer wants one, they want one that works, so they buy a professionally-rebuilt one anyway.... So most junkyards did not have any junk turbochargers on hand at all, and could only order rebuilt ones. Most of these rebuilt ones cost $800-$1000+.

A couple smaller junkyards did have some, but the only ones they had were obviously ruined--either from being coked on the engine (the oil in the turbocharger bearings burns within seconds when the car wrecks and loses oil pressure instantly, and this seizes the turboshaft inside the turbocharger casing) or because the car's hood was left open in the rain with the carb removed and the compressor wheel (the fan on the "intake" end) had rusted from rain settling in it. The spinning parts of a turbo can't be cracked or pitted at all, they must be in perfect condition, and the steel they are made out of rusts and pits very easily.

It is possible to buy turbocharger rebuild kits, but you have to be able to get them from the company that makes the turbo, they aren't universal.... and not all turbo companies sell the rebuild kits retail, because it's specialized rebuilding that requires dedicated machinery to do 100% properly, and so most local shops won't do it themselves anyway. The manufacturers may not even regularly sell the parts to anyone else to do it. So for a lot of turbos out there, you cannot easily obtain a rebuild kit at all.

If you have a junked one you want to rebuild, then ID the manufacturer and email them right off the bat if kits or parts can be bought directly. Your local car parts store won't know nuts about turbo rebuild kits.

My conclusion was that if you really wanted to do this, the easiest way is to buy a new turbo off of eBay. The prices can be quite good--while a rebuilt turbo through a shop will often cost $1000 or more, some on eBay go for as little as $300. You should try to find one that is in new or new/pull condition, and you should also try to find one that also has rebuild kits for sale (also on eBay) so you can obtain a couple or more of those at the same time as well.
~

I say intrigate the happy time to the jet. Have the HT start off the bike then when you approach top speed,pull in the clutch and push that button.
Then you will pass Soccer Mom. Then she will crash into a tree.
It would be amazing.

Thats not a bad idea at all actually - airflow will help the axial flow engines spin up - and it saves the problem of sluggishness at slow speeds (better than fitting an afterburner to a bike anyways).

Im not sure but I seem to remember at least the early engines (BMW 003a) for example would run on petrol as a fuel so I wonder whether it would be possible to run both motors off the same tank - although that would need to be a large tank/tanks.

It should be possible to fit large capacity tanks on a rear rack/pannier type mount but I have to admit I wouldnt want to be anywhere near a police car when I fired it up....

Also how on earth are you gonna stop a bike doing 60+mph without a weeks notice?

Jemma xx

Rocket trike

that's some crazy stuff!! the flying man was awesome!!!

/QUOTE]

I did not see all the youtube vids (they play for craap in my computer) but I assume Euro Rocket Suit guy vid was on there. I did see that one a while back and it brought tears of vicarious joy to me eyes. literally.

Haggard: I have to say that the rocket powered trike idea is abit "insane in the membrane" though.

That having been said; first you have to calculate how fast this thing might go. And then add a few MPH's to be safe. In this case like 50mph. Then you have to engineer a trike that can handle say 150mph.

If you can come up with a trike that can even handle 100mph you have created the ultimate bike motor platform. If you get to that point please do not put a rocket engine on it an go down in history with the guy who put a C-130 rocket booster in his Impala. Call me I'll make you a millionaire.:D

Michael

Also how on earth are you gonna stop a bike doing 60+mph without a weeks notice?

Jemma xx

Bahh! With flame retardant brake pads one could come to a screeching halt in half a day easy. :D Fours hours in an overcast day with a headwind.

You bring up a great idea: duel disk brakes for bicycles. As in two in the front.

BTW?: How does a leggy Brit girl become so mechanically savvy?

Michael

Dude you read my mind, i have been thinking about making something like this for a long time, but i think a turbo jet, or hybrid rocket is out of my legue at the moment, I do have a rebuilt turbo and some good ideas but this sort of project will definaly get into the $1000 range with out breaking a sweat(I am making a valveless pulse jet for a bicycle that should get done some time this summer though) but if you got the know how and green stuff, power to you.

I would suggest that in choseing your bike frame for this you spare no expense or you use a broken down motor cycle as you platform though a jet made out of a turbo charger will be at least 100lbs once all trimings have been added

"Hey honey! Look at that Motoredbike!"
"Hey! He's entering the highway!"
"Woah! Look at him go!!"

Yes. I would like to have one.

Pulse jet engines will make your yet not conceived children deaf..YES they are that LOUD.

Back