Homebuilt Motorcycle section/subforum request

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by chainmaker, Aug 7, 2012.

Is a homebuilt motorcycle subforum a good idea

Poll closed Aug 27, 2012.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

0 vote(s)
  1. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Lately there have been builds that are not so much bicycle as motorcycle, it would be really cool if a section could be added for homebuilt motorcycles. I know that this is a site mainly for motorized bicycles, but some bikes are blurring the line. I think this is great, it is a natural progression for some just like back in the good ol' days. There is an increasing amount of talent here, which would be great to have a sub-forum for the bikes they are building. Thanks

2. graucho

graucho Active Member

I'd like that also chainmaker. I haven't posted my last 2 builds. Also there were many more that I could have shared.
  3. Anton

Anton Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. One of my friends built a chopper out of an old pit bike frame and engine. You can't really call it a motorized bike however it fits in so well with the whole DIY/home-build approach of the forum.
  4. Anton

I added a new section here: Homebuilt Motorcycles - Larger frames, bigger engines, no pedals...

[Edit: Section Removed]
  5. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

I clicked on the link and it took me to the painting section.
  6. Anton

Sorry about that, it ended up being a bit of overkill having a separate forum for Home Built Motorcycles. All build threads can now be found in Projects and Builds

What I might do in the future is add some prefixes in the Projects and Builds forum so that users can quickly separate out the different types of bikes in the build section.
  7. V 35

V 35 Member

I like the theroy, but can't help but wonder .... Where do ' real ' motorcycles enter the picture displacement wise ? Can I cut up a couple frames, add some tubing, bolt in the stock motor, and call it a home made ? Or is that * just * a custom Motorcycle ? Pirate Cycle has a Motoped , basicly a dirt bike framed 50cc off road bike . While truly exotic, a good used dirt bike could be had for less money .

Most of us Gas Bikers used to own ' real ' motorcycles, so we are getting back to our roots . For me, I stumbled onto the BikeBerry website,
    and realized I can ride again.
  8. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

I never owned a "real" motorcycle, in fact I have never even had a driver's license or ridden anything that I haven't built myself. Probably for this reason, my bike seems more "real" to me than anything factory built. I did not purposely attempt to make my bike look like a motorcycle, I just gathered up the parts I wanted, and when it was done, it looked remarkably like a "real" motorcycle. I did try my best to build this bike tougher than your average motorbike, and with that in mind, I used parts you wont find on your average kit bike. This isnt a kit bike at all, its fully custom, so heavy duty parts were needed. In my mind, a bike becomes a motorcycle when it is completely self-propelled, and even though the bike may have functional pedals, absolutely no pedaling would be necessary unless you ran out of gas. My bike is fas approaching that point. I have to pedal getting off the line, because my clutch chatters until it locks up (centrifugal clutch). But today I'll be installing some heavier shoes that will allow the clutch to lock up faster, and I most likely will not need to pedal at all anymore. Incidentally, the displacement of my engine does qualify my bike as a motorcycle in my state. My engine is 98cc, and the legal limit for mopeds here is 49cc. And no, my bike is not registered. I suppose I would define most of the non-kit builds as "light motorcycles", including my own. And the biggest reason my bike is so "real" to me is that I built it with my own two hands.