Homemade bike repair stand?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by boyntonstu, Jan 21, 2015.

1. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

What is the simplest, cheapest, smallest bike repair stand that you made or saw?

This one comes to mind:

However, I once saw a tiny wood stand that held the bike from under the bottom bracket and the 2 horizontal tubes going to the rear. Look above in the video image and you may imagine what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Those big hooks you buy to hang a bike with from the top of a balcony. Works great screwed vertically into a side rail or post. 2 are even better spaced just right, $5.

3. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Horizontally?

I am looking for a portable stand to use in the garage or outdoors with a minimum of lifting.

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Well you want portability, need to add those lil details ya know. You want wheels, tool bin, minifridge with that...................lol. One thing I'm sure of is that some of the cheap ones aren't worth ddidly squat. I looked at a couple of cheap ones in person off of craigs for sale, walked away both times without buying. They weren't sturdy enough to hold a bike and be safe. Get some second opinions or buy a quality brand stand like Park or whatever.

5. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Look at the OP, I showed exactly the type of portable stand I want.

6. Fly1

Fly1 Member

COOL! I like it.
    Fly

7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

All I see is a pic of a dude working on a bike. Where's the repair stand?

8. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

It's the metal pipe on the left side of the bike with a of couple of U type pieces welded on it to cradle the frame in 2 places.

[​IMG]

Clever I suppose if you didn't feel like just turning your pedal only bike upside down AND it happed to fit the frame but not really practical for my use anyway.

We have tried a couple of things but the one rack we built with some scrap wood, glue and screws ~4 years ago is still the main indoor 'build bay'.

[​IMG]

It doesn't allow you to spin the wheels, but it will hold most any bike with 2.25" max wide 20-29" tall front wheel in place, even with fenders, and it is out of the way of everything and portable.

The wooden square was a fluke, after the shop fire a couple years back the insurance adjuster cut a 'carpet square' to assess it's value right frigg'n there!
    Not from a corner under my bench or something but right there where my bike rack fits best so we dropped a piece of plywood with both poking in the perfect distance from the wall to allow the rack to pivot on the bolt but not move anywhere else when rolling bikes in and out of it.

We can do most work at ground level thanks to a couple of padded rolling dinning room chairs and it's a padded carpet floor so sitting on the ground is too bad, but my buddy and are getting to old for 'getting and down from the floor' so he decided to make a Platform Rack to raise the work.

It does help for some work but a bit unruly and far from portable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just idea's for you as both were practically free to make and serve every function out of the way but wheel spinning.

9. Rebel Riders MB

Rebel Riders MB New Member

this is my work station, I was tired of laying down on the floor to work on my bike so I took my 3x car bike rack and removed one rail (the kind that hold the bike sideways off the hitch receiver) some scrap 2x4's and a 2x6. I went down to harbor freight and bought some small caster wheels and now I can roll it around my work shop. total coast around $30 and I can hold any thing from a skinny 20" to my 26x4 mongoose beasts, ive even put my huge 32" genesis onyx

142.jpg

10. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Nice!

Caster/roller wheels under the rear tire to allow rotation?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  11. Rebel Riders MB

There not installed in this photo. But I put 4 wheels under the whole stand so I can roll it out of my way or closer to my tool box as needed

12. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Can the rear wheel rotate?

13. Rebel Riders MB

yes , when i first made the stand i would just use a wooden block and propped up the rear of the bike frame, but now i have a "motorcycle wheel cleaning stand" ($20) from harbor freight , its has two rollers on it kinda like a dyno.

100_5148%20(Medium).JPG

boyntonstu likes this.
  14. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

The simplest & cheapest bike repair stand I've ever used? Thats easy! Gotta be one of these...........

[​IMG]

15. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I like that 'wheel cleaning' roller, that would work just dandy in my shop for turning the back wheel, $20 at HF? I'll grab one thanks for the tip ;-}

16. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

Simple!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  17. Fly1

Fly1 Member

I,m with you KC, that is cool. I can't make one for $20.

Fly

18. professor

professor Active Member

I use the hoist in my garage. Sometimes hoist it up and place it on a table for stability.

19. msiert

msiert Member

I use a Parktool stand. I just put all the way down so it's not that bad to left the rear end up and slip the seat post in the clamp and lift the front with one hand and tighten the clamp down.

Even at it's lowest setting it's plenty high enough to most maintenance items and upgrades.

Attached Files:

20. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

bike repair stand.jpg

5 minute temporary stand.

I will mount a Staton 31 cc 4 stoker on this double shock 20" bike.