Honda Engine in a Basket For Stealth Friction Drive

Steve M.

Local time
9:01 AM
I just got my Honda GX35 engine w/ Staton friction drive mounted, and wasn't real happy w/ the way the bright red engine stuck out on the right side. After looking at what was available, I bought one of those cheap metal baskets at K-Mart that are designed to slip on your handlebars. A little eye balling gave me a rough idea of where to cut, and after a few bolts to hold it on here it is. I painted the engine cover black to help it blend in and slipped a mouse pad in the side (which I later turned around sideways to better cover things up). The pad also keeps the basket from pressing against the side of the motor. The tightly woven baskets are better for this than the older more open style w/ wire construction.

It works great. Tomorrow I'll buy some bolts w/ wing nuts so I can quickly take the basket off for maintenance. Next is a larger (hopefully quieter) muffler to route to the other side of the bike, and it will be close to a stealth gas engined bike.

Here's a few shots showing the setup and mounting.

Attachments

• DSCF5446.jpg
    DSCF5446.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,302
  • DSCF5437.jpg
    DSCF5437.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1,336
  • DSCF5439.jpg
    DSCF5439.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • DSCF5440.jpg
    DSCF5440.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
There's just enough room to unscrew the gas tank lid and put a funnel in there if you push on the rack. It's very flexible stuff. The next mod will be to put a flat aux gas tank on top of the friction drive channel, painted black except for a sliver that will show the gas level. I think the Golden Eagle belt drives are even better candidates for the engine-in-a-basket as they mount on the opposite side of the bike and sit much closer to the center.

I have this powerful urge to fill the basket w/ plastic flowers, but better leave well enough alone. They might melt anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like you are hauling a motor in the basket. What if you put another one on the other side to balance it out, plus you could carry stuff in it. Beyond trying to hide the motor, it ls a lot nicer than just the motor hanging out there. I think I may do something like that when I get around to installing my friction drive and the motor I got from you. Another thing, if you wanted to hide the gas tank from sight, you could put a bike bag that mounts on top of a bike rack and install the tank in the bag. Would that work or is that a little much?

You know Steve, all these years (29) that I have been riding these motorized bicycles, I have never been pulled over and questioned by any police officer. I think the reason is, I ride them pretty much just like a bicycle and not a motorcycle. Most of the time 18 to 20 mph and even slower at times, maybe on a wide street with plenty of room 25 to 30 ( depending on which bike I'm riding) I have one motorized bike I talk big about that will almost do 70 mph. I think I told you that also. Well, most of that is just talk, it will go that fast but 18 to 25 mph is about it. I just enjoy the ride, obey the law and give everyone the right of way.

I have rode in several different cities and towns and never a problem. Probably several others on this form will say the same.

Let us know how going up that 8 mile grade you told me about works out.

Best Regards

Bill Snow

I think you're right Bill, going slow and sticking to the side streets has worked well for me w/ the electric bike, but as it's nearly silent that's what really helps. Still, I am always pedaling on it just in case. Your suggestion on putting the fuel tank in a bike bag is perfect and will try that out. Once it's quieter I'll be happy w/ it. Modern cars are really quiet. Open the hood and you barely hear the engine's running, but a single cylinder may always be a little noisy. Anyway, next is a bigger muffler for it. The folks at G. E. suggested using flex gas heater pipe like you'd use in your home to connect it to the aux muffler. Hopefully it won't sap much power, as this Honda engine has less get up and go than that Mitsubishi 2 stroke I sold you. Wish I'd included a shot w/ the mouse pad turned lengthwise because you don't even see the gas tank peeking out.

Back