Honda gxh50 compared to clones?

please...i'm only going to ask this single question. i'm going to ask it respectfully and clearly.

as relates to the interesting comparison MBMike has instigated:

can someone provide any or all actual and official united states govt certifications that either example can lay legitimate claim to?

The little Honda a Powerhouse?

Hi Augi, I'm not fully sure that I know what you are asking to see, but I think maybe this will help, it is the specs from SEW that helped me decide to test the little Giant, the Honda, with apparently 1 hp more to offer than the opposition, (err competition)

Made by Honda

2.5hp Horizontal 5/8" x 1 1/4" Shaft, Muffler, no tank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Number: GXH50QHA
2.5hp
Overhead Valve Design
Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve
Mounting: Horizontal
Electric Start: No
Low Oil Shutdown
Fuel Tank: none
Oil Capacity: .26 Quart
Oil Type: SAE 10w-30
Shaft Size: 5/8"D
Muffler: Included
Height: 13.9"
Depth (Less Shaft): 7.7"
Width: 10.8"
Shipping Weight: 20 Pounds

Condition: New
Warranty: 2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty
Returns: Limited Allowed

From Duropower

Descriptions:
DP049 PROPERTY PARAMETER
Model DP049
Engine type 4-stroke 25°inclined single cylinder with Air cooled
BorexStroke 1.65"x1.41"
Displacement 49 cc
Compression ratio 7.5:1
Max. power output 1.5HP/7000rpm
Max. torque 2.0N.m/4500rpm
Ignition system Non-contact transistorized ignition(TCI)
Start mode Recoil hand-operated
Air cleaner Semi -Dry
Fuel tank capacity 0.32 Gallon
Fuel consumption 350g/HP-hour
Engine oil capacity 0.066 Gallon
Dimensions(LxWxH) 9"x11"x14"
Dry weight 12 lbs.

Currently I'm having trouble getting the factory specs from a website for the H-S 50cc, but I remember that all the vendors offerring it were saying 1.5-2hp, and NEVER did I see anyone proposing 2.5 HP,

Augie, I am TRULY interested in the best info on this subject, and I know that you see that too?

I am deeply interested in all I can learn about the little 50cc, as I want my little project to succeed in the most spectacular way possible.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

Where is that extra horse coming from on the Honda, I wonder. Looking at the specs on the manufacturers websites shows 1.4kw@6800rpm for the HuaSheng and 1.6kw@7000rpm for the Honda. This translates to 1.9 horsepower versus 2.1 horsepower. The kw or kilowatt rating for power seems to be used more by foreign countries. The Honda has higher compression which would certainly give it more power. Maybe it has a hotter cam.? Like you say, one horse is a big difference if it really is a full horse... You can find HS specs by searching for HuaSheng 142F. Also, the HuaSheng is 49cc and the Honda is 50cc. Makes a difference in some states...

mike said:
Augie, I am TRULY interested in the best info on this subject, and I know that you see that too?
yes SIR i do :)

my question was specifically about official emissions certifications...surely that comparative detail matters?

More Honda Info, others invited

Hi Guys, More info on the Honda.

As I cannot seem to find spec pages for the other clones could someone post MFG spec pages for every other 4-stroke 49cc Clone that they can find?

From another website Honda 50

Honda Horizontal OHV Engine - 50cc, GX Series, 5/8in. x 1 1/4in. Shaft, Model# GXH50UQXA

The Honda 50cc GX Series OHV mini commercial-grade engine is designed for the most demanding commercial applications. It has set an industry standard for reliability and durability.

Overhead Valve design offers cooler, fuel-efficient operation and cast iron cylinder sleeve provides longer service life. The GX is reliable, easy starting and quiet running. Meets EPA and CARB emission levels standards. This legendary engine has earned the reputation as the preferred engine for construction equipment.

Designed for high-RPM applications.

Honda 50cc GX OHV air-cooled, 4-stroke, horizontal engine Horizontal Shaft: 5/8in. x 1 1/4in. tapped 1/4-28

Applications: high-RPM Historical rating 2.5 HP CCW Rotation

Fuel Tank Capacity: 1.21-qt. Oil Capacity: .63-qt. 7800 RPM

Recoil Start Transistorized magneto ignition

Approximate Mounting Base Dimensions: 4.4in. x 2.1in.

Flange Mount Bolt Circle: 4.17

PTO Height: 3.35in.

Low Oil Alert

Semi dry element air cleaner Automatic decompression for easy starting

Heavy-duty ball bearing supported crankshaft

Cast iron cylinder bore

Double walled heavy-duty tank with in tank fuel strainer

Manual throttle and choke

Remote wire throttle and choke conversion possible with additional components

Dimensions: 8.9in.L x 10.8in.W x 13.9in.H

This was all jammed together, I opened it up to be more easily read.

Who can post H-S and others?

To Cruiser, many things equal HP, cam, compression ratio, porting, even how well the whole engine spins inside it's crankcase. I don't yet know why Honda rates 2.5, and the others MUCH lower, but maybe we can find out?

Hi Augie, I'm really hoping for something good, my efforts to get a finer under 50 have stalled, and now I'm pursuing the short-commings in this line of kits, in the hope of a truly bullet -proof, not bug-riddled kit. I still hang on to hopes that something good can be done.

Mike

Over on the Grubee web site they list the specs for the Clone. My attempts to cut and paste the chart into this post have not been successful. Any way the chart is on the page for the 4-stroke frame mount kit and is down the page approx 1/4 of the way.

ocscully

onward & upward, mikey...i think you've noticed i ain't been slouching on the job, either :cool:

this from the honda GXH50 owner's manual,I hope this helps.louis

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 863
Anyone actually interested in seeing if a Honda GXH50 is EPA certified can easily find the information. What's the point?

EPA Cert

Hi Houghmade, I do understand that they are carbII compliant, but that is certainly not my point of interest. I think what Augie's question was actually pointed at was, Don't state opinions on this subject, lets see hard facts from MFG or Distrubitors websites, this meaning for ALL mentioned engines.

How bout it Dax, got a tech sheet to share?

If not, then I am mistaken there, My goal is the How, and th Why and the What.

As always,

Mike

Back