CVT Honda GXH50 + CVT Some questions

alekor

Local time
5:05 PM
I have bought X2 CVT the second type (where the transfer relation 7:1) and I wish to make with it a motor-bicycle with engine Honda GXH 50.
In CVT FAQ I have found here this schedule.
attachment.php

I want that the maximum speed was nearby 32 MPH. From schedule it is visible that between minimum RPM couplings (4000 RPM) and maximum RPM (7000) speed varies three times. Whether so it?
If all is true, at my motor-bicycle at the maximum speed 32 MPH (7000 RPM) the minimum speed awakes 10 MPH (4000 RPM) and the motor-bicycle awakes itself to start without rotation of pedals - is my purpose. Whether my reasonings are true?
Thanks.

That chart is an example one, to give you an ides as to how the CVT would work.

For a specific application, we need to go through the steps. I'm going to assume that your wheel size is 26 inches. If this is not the case, you will need to adjust the calculations with your wheel size.

First, you state that you want the bike to have a top speed of about 32 MPH, and you are using a Honda GHX-50. Per the engine curves, below, the GXH-50 has maximum torque output at about 4700 RPM, and maximum HP output at about 7000 RPM, and an upper RPM limit of about 7500 RPM. The first step is to calculate the gear ratio to achieve the desired upper limit for speed, at max RPM. With GearRat, I can calculate this required total gear ratio to be 18.13, to achieve 32 MPH at 7500 RPM. Let's round this off to 18.1 for the rest of the calcs.

A ratio of 18.1, when you use the second type of X2 CVT (which has a gearbox with a 3.18 ratio) means that you still need a further reduction of 5.7. If you have a 12 T sprocket on the output of the CVT, you would need a 68 Tooth sprocket on the rear axle to achieve the required reduction. Note that either of these sizes of sprocket are hard to locate, and further, it is very desirable to have a freewheel sprocket in the final drive chain. You can't find 68T left-hand thread freewheel sprockets, but, you CAN find them down to about 16 teeth, in the standard english 1-3/8 inch, 24 threads-per-inch mounting.

A 16 tooth drive sprocket would need a 91 tooth driven sprocket. Again, this would have to be a custom sprocket. And, it would be huge. The alternative is to add a jackshaft between the CVT and the rear sprocket.

Lets assume a jackshaft, with a 16 tooth freewheel output sprocket, and a 14 Tooth sprocket on the output of the CVT. Playing around with the numbers on GearRat, and a 29T sprocket on the input of the jackshaft, and a 44T sprocket at the rear axle gets you the right ratios. (CVT1.JPG)

With the gearing settled, we can calculate the upper 'bend' or breakpoint in the chart. This point is the speed, using a total gear ratio of 18.1 (per GearRat) and the max torque RPM of 4700. The speed is 20.1 MPH. (CVT2.JPG)

Next, the lower breakpoint can be calculated, which is the max torque speed (where the CVT belt drive has it's maximum ratio (about 2.2:1) and the engine is at maximum torque (4700 RPM.) Plug in the 2.2 belt reduction in the CVT, to obtain this speed, which is 9.1 MPH. (CVT3.JPG)

Finally, the bottom end of the system RPM-speed curve can be found, by plugging in the RPM when the clutch engages. If we assume this to be about 3000 RPM, the corresponding speed speed would be 5.8 MPH (CVT4.JPG)

That's it then. It looks as if this approach should meet your goals...:cool:

Refer to the last image (Chart.JPG) for the RPM-Speed curve for your proposed configuration.

Attachments

• curve_GXH50.jpg
    curve_GXH50.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,065
  • CVT1.JPG
    CVT1.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,088
  • CVT2.JPG
    CVT2.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,969
  • CVT3.JPG
    CVT3.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,988
  • CVT4.JPG
    CVT4.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,062
  • Chart.JPG
    Chart.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,018
Last edited:
Many thanks for so detailed clarification! I wish to translate CVT on a usual bicycle chain (as accessories for it at us more accessible) and as the maximum transfer relation at us on factory accessories nearby 4,6:1 I am compelled to use a wheel of 20 inches. Then, proceeding from your calculations, the transfer relation between CVT and a wheel should be nearby 4,3:1 (5,7 / (26/20)) - easily to receive it using 11t and 48t stars.

And still a question - time at Honda GXH50 coupling turns are equal 3000, single turns should be nearby 2000 RPM?

Last edited:
Alekor, I Have Some Post Of My Cvt With The Titan 4 Stroke In "Cvt`S and Comet Drives" , I Think It Is Started By "nutsky" I Thought I Came Up With The Idea On The Other Forum. I Came On Here And He Was A Few Months Ahead Of Me. His Is Left Hand Drive, Which Is Fine. Mine Is Right Hand Drive With Free Wheels. My First Cvt Build Was With A Cag 2 Stroke . The Titan Has A 11 Tooth On The Cvt Out Put Shaft And A 54 Tooth On The Rear Wheel, weigh Over 300 Lbs, It Starts Off With Out Pedal Assist. I Give It 1/4 Throttle And It Takes Off With Ease, As If There Is No Rider, It Is Smooth. It Go`s 25 Max, But The Throttle Is Not Fully Opening. I Will Correct The Throttle And Am Going To Try A 17 Tooth On The Tranny. I Have Pics On The Thread Around Posts 56 Thru 67. Ron

Last edited:
Today I at last have received mine CVT - I have bought it here - http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/cvtwichco.html.
That is interesting - the general fall CVT equally 8,25:1. Thus reducer fall 3,75:1. These characteristics do not approach neither under the first, nor under the second kind CVT(in FAQ CVT) - that will tell?

Foto by my CVT:

fe9307a8c4200fabb047fa709968fe37.jpg

1bae51f65a3ada82114f23ddc13bba80.jpg

2dfbecb5b75a8f865206b1732905e620.jpg

Last edited:
ALEKOR, I DID HAVE THE THREAD TITLE IN CORRECT. IT IS "CVT`S and COMET DRIVES". GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD. RON

Alekor, Is That A 35cc Motor? Good Motor. Harder To Mount Than The Titan When Using The Cvt. It Should Be A Good Set Up. Just Gear It To Suit That Motor. Happy Riding To You. Ron

Alekor, Is That A 35cc Motor? Good Motor. Harder To Mount Than The Titan When Using The Cvt. It Should Be A Good Set Up. Just Gear It To Suit That Motor. Happy Riding To You. Ron

Yes, it is the engine 35 cc. But I have resulted work with CVT together with Honda GX35 only as an example - I am going to use Honda GXH50 with CVT.

Back