Honda GXH50 engine WON'T fit Titan Kit.

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by fetor56, Jun 3, 2008.

1. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Basically it's a problem of the output shaft being to long.
    The QXA's output shaft is approx 1.3" to long while the QHA's should be approx 1" to long.
    There are other differences with the carby/exhaust/fuel-tank/drain plug/crankcase cover,etc but the output shaft is the main culprit.
    The casings appear to be the same(with the exception of the crackcase cover) but i wouldn't trust the internals to be identical.......bummer eah. :(
    P1010061.JPG P1010062.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008

2. ocscully

ocscully Member

I'm curious about the 4-bolt mount pattern on the output side of the two engines. Are they the same? I'm thinking the Titan has the slightly smaller pattern that is used on the small 2-stroke engines and the Subaru/Robin engines and could there for be used with the GEBE Power Take Off unit?

Looking closely at your photos it appears to me that the Titan essentially has an adapter shroud around the clutch and then the Dax/Titan PTO unit mounts to the adapter? Similar to the adapter made by Staton-Inc. for the Honda engine.

ocscully

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The 4-hole mounting pattern is different with the Honda being slightly wider spaced.
    Centre to centre Honda is 75mm
    Centre to centre Titan is 70mm
    That adaptor shroud your thinking is not a shroud like in the Staton setup...it is in reality a full casting anchored by the 6 bolts.
    P1010061.JPG

4. It's actually pretty impressive how close the Titan engine is to the Honda. The parts even look interchangeable. Like you can almost adapt the Titan crankshaft.....

5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

There's NO WAY i would assume anything of these 2 engines....for example the oil drain- plug of the Honda doesn't fit the Titan cos their different threads.

6. ocscully

ocscully Member

Interchangability?

Yes the shrouding is accomplished in different ways but the end result is the same. I believe that if you put the Staton adapter on the Honda then added a 76mm clutch you would be able to bolt the Titan PTO to the Honda. I also believe that you can put a GEBE PTO or the Staton gearbox directly to the Titan. Now weather or not this percieved interchangability is good or desirable, well who knows. Its just an observation of possabilites.

ocscully

7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Staton adaptor on the Honda with Titan PTO.....that's pretty possible man & it's something u would need to physically test for yourself(or go from a really reliable source)
    Dunno the affect on the overall distance that the engine drive sprocket protrudes & if the jackshaft(or engine) mountings would need modification.......darn interesting possabilities though. :)

8. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I take it the Honda has the red plastic and the Titan has the black plastic. Does anyone know where the Titan is made? and by whom?

9. ocscully

ocscully Member

in all of the photos attached to this thread so far the Honda motor is the one on the right side.

10. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Oscully, does that mean the Tital originates from the same factory as the Huangsheng or is it a Honda too?

11. ocscully

ocscully Member

I can't provide any information on where the various engines are manufactured. I have the Honda GXH50 and looking at the photos in this thread I feel that who ever manufactures the Honda is doing a superior job than who ever manufactures the Titan. It is my understanding that the Honda and Huangsheng are Identical buy outside appearence and the various mounting points. But I don't think that means they are made by the same manufacturer. The Titan at first glance looks similar and perhaps to alot of folks the same, but there is one major difference when looked at closely and that is where the Power Take Off Mounts. The Titan crankcase has a built up shroud around the included clutch. The Honda and Huangsheng do not have this feature. While this shroud is a plus for the Titans Power Take Off Unit it is a negative for attaching any of the other gear boxes available for 4-strokes. I believe the exception to ths is the Staton-Inc. 18.75:1 gearbox. But the GRUBEE and the Hoot gear boxes will not easily bolt up to the Titan.

ocscully

12. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Thanks Oscully, from my knowledge of China the Huangsheng is a rip-off of the Honda - made in China where copyrights are not respected - but it is a good copy and the casting is as good as the original. I too noticed the casting on the Titan looked a bit rough but the engine could well be great. I think the Titan engine is made in China because they go to great lengths to avoid stating where it comes from. The Hoot GB won't fit on any Huangsheng but only on the ones made specially for it because they actually have a different shaft size that only fits the Hoot GB. That means they can't be used with anything else although you intimated that, with difficulty, they might fit a Titan. So I take it that the Titan is a mystery motor that Dax won't divulge the providence of and that it goes with his kit only. His kit sounds great though and seems to be second only to the Staton for quality of drive train mechanism. The Huangsheng is a good buy but the Hoot GB seems to be getting a bad press on these pages. Time will tell.

13. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I have avoided stating it, but apparently I'm not the only one who noticed this.

That being said, the quality looks fine and more importantly, those using it see quite satisfied. However, I'll stick with my Honda....but I'm partial to a frame mount.