honda gxh50 fuel problem

waxsurfer15

Local time
10:47 AM
I just put a new gxh50 on my motorbike. The problem is that when I try to start it up, it tries to start(i can keep it running a little bit by switching the choke on and off but it eventually dies, this is at lot rpms). I ran a line strait up from the carb and filled with fuel. Still same problems. Im confused anyone got a suggestions?:confused:

There is a low oil circut/sensor on the GXH50. It will allow the motor to start but as soon as it senses low pressure it shuts the motor off. Make sure your oil level is where it should be first, and then be sure that the wiring for this sensor is not shorting out.

ocscully

i think im messing up the connections. There are two yellow wires that come off the engine and a black female connector on the engine. The kill switch has a yellow wire with a red stripe and a green wire. Can someone help on the schematics?

Here is a link to the Honda GXH50 owners manual the wiring diagram is on page 15. http://www.honda-engines.com/Engines_owners_manuals/ownersmanuals/37Z4C603.pdf

With the oil sensor wired in and low oil level the motor will start nad run briefly
(perhaps 10-30 sec.) So yes you could still be getting spark and the problem could be low oil pressure/oil level. But it could easily be a short as well. Hope the diagrams help.

ocscully

Ok everything is hooked up right and the oil level is right. It is still doing the same thing. Can get it started only with choke on and the only way it stays alive is if i mess with the choke every 2 seconds. Its running at super low RPM's too. I had it running excellent the first time i started it(new engine). I let it sit for a day and now its like this? Any suggestions? How can I check if the low pressure sensor has shorted out? I have a feeling this is the nature of my problem.

Last edited:
it would be nice to know
if it's running lean or rich

sounds lean -- lack of gas ?

new engine that was running fine
wonder if there may be a small piece of ?? stuck in the carb, fuel line or filter ?
float should also have smooth action -- wonder if it does ?

just putting it out there -- ride that THING

its definately getting gas to the carb and there were 2 fuel filters in the line before the carb so there cant be anything in the carb.

what does your plug tell you
too much or not enough gas
could be a starting point

with the carb
I was thinking a little something in there from possibly when it was made
kind of a long shot

two filters -- I would only use one -- could two restrict flow ?

if we need to run with the chock on a little so as to keep running
tells us -- we are lacking gas -- usually

ride that thing

Last edited:
In the course of shipping the engine, it will get tossed about and possibly the float assembly/needle valve took a hit.

When you use the choke, you are actually enriching to compensate for a fuel starvation condition.

OK, the oil level is correct.
As you pull start the rope, can you 'feel' the engine's compression? (this is a quick-check of engine compression)
We have spark at cranking and running. You say the engine ran good at first.
We have fuel reaching the carb. ***ensure the fuel shut off valve on the carb is in the full OPEN position***. Take a fuel sample, let it settle in a clear class jar. Is the fuel contaminated? There is a small fuel filter inside the fuel line at the fuel tank outlet. Pull the hose off the tank and you will find the filter either in the hose or stuck up in the tank outlet hose fitting. Ensure it is clean.

Do a good visual inspection of the throttle linkage and governor linkage to check for possible shipping related damage. Ensure the carb mount bolts are secure and snug. This will check for a possible vacuum leak. Manually open and close the throttle. Is it smooth and non binding?

Remove the air filter cover and inspect carb throat with a light. Perhaps turn IN (clockwise) the throttle stop screw one turn and try to start engine normally. This will compensate for a mis-adjusted curb idle speed setting (throttle closed too much at idle to run properly).

Still no luck? Everything looks good up to this point? I would suspect a carb idle circuit problem. This is where you clean off the ole work bench and have a fresh can of Carb Cleaner on hand. Remove air cleaner assembly and gently remove carb from engine, taking care not to damage the gasket. Working on a clean work bench is a must! This has to be a clean operation. Clean fingers too.
Remove float bowl. Invert carb and take care not to damage the float assembly. Check to make sure it's not obviously out of whack. Remove the float and needle valve parts and lay out neatly. Now, shoot carb cleaner (through the little red tube that comes taped to the can) into every orifice and passage you can find in the carb body. Use compressed air to follow up all the passages and to dry off carb of all cleaner. Use that compressed air in a can if you have no access to compressed shop air. Additionally check all of the passages for flakes of casting flash or machining chips from the manufacturing process. Carefully reassemble the carb after inspecting the needle valve tip for deformation or debris.

Fire that puppy up and cross your fingers.

I'm curious as to what you ultimately find! Good luck. It's usually something very simple and stupid.

Back