Honda GXH50 Governor Disconnection. Discussion & Pictures

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by fetor56, Jan 11, 2008.

1. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I'm about to purchase two Honda GXH50 engines(one for a friend) from Staton-inc,for either a Grubee frame mount or a Titan rear mount and wanted to know if anyone knew how to disconnect the governor.
    I understand it's not a simple procedure but has anyone done it for themself and could possibly give me a blow by blow guide.Pics would be excellent,or any further website info appreciated?
    Thanks guys.

PS...if anyone can see any problems with me buying these engines(and possibly Grubee gearbox later) and shipping them to Australia can u let me know.
    50.jpg

MBC EDIT: THREAD MOVED TO NEW 4 STROKE FORUM.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I have done it, but as far as a step by step- that's tough. I actually just started at the carb and removed everything related to the governor. I owe someone else here a picture of my throttle linkage, but the camera is down. As soon as I get it going again, I will take those pics which will make it easier to explain.

You can start where the governor shafter comes out of the crankcase and remove the arm from that and everything up to the carb including the arm that the throttle lever mounts on. The real trick is making a throttle that works...but then we are back to the above issue again.

3. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Thanks HoughMade...any pics relating to either subject would be great.I'm following your other thread as well( My four stroke build- observations) to cover my bases.

4. kerf

kerf Guest

I'm not familiar with the GXH50, but would it be possible to leave the governor and just turn it up? I've done that on other engines.

5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

@kerf
    I don't think it's possible to just turn it up.The engine governor is used in conjunction with optional pumps/generators/cement mixers etc so that when the engine gets "bogged-down" with heavy load the governor speeds it up.Good idea for it's intended purpose but VERY bad idea for a pushbike when your wanting to slow right down and the governor is trying to speed it up.
    Appreciate the thinking though and i'll ask further.

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

If this helps, here are a couple pictures of what is missing- see my other thread regarding the throttle linkage and for more pics

Attached Files:

7. xkwox

xkwox Member

could you post information on the titan rear mount? i am getting this motor as well

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

here's all the info there is on the titan at the moment: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8146

...boy, that honda on a titan rack would be pretty doggone solid.

we've "upped" the .pdf filesize limit, so if anyone has a gxh50 manual or diagrams to upload, we'd love to have 'em :)

9. xkwox

xkwox Member

10. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Thanks xkwox...i've got the Owners Manual but your link is good for ppl that don't.I'm especially interested in getting the Workshop Manual,it's out on CD and it's much more comprehensive.
    I'm STILL searching on how to disconnect the governor,but if i can't find a way i'll take the engine to a good Honda dealer that i know and pay $30.Don't really wanna do that cos i'de like to learn how to do it myself.

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

if it turns out you do have to pay for the mod, take your camera and get pics ;)

however, if someone owns that repair .pdf and can distribute it with proper credits, please do send that our way soon.

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Aug...please advise new .pdf limit?
    IF i can get my hands on a Workshop Manual and wish to post relevent sections will that get MBc in trouble with copyright?

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

good question for the masses...when you're posting in "advanced" the "manage attachments" page has a chart with filesize info...see the "image" link in my signature for details.

i think if you give credit we'll be fine. after all, it can only help them, too :)

14. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

IF i have to pay for the mod i'll be trying to take pics(if they'll let me)
    I'm also wanting to get it modified for a pump to pump fuel to the carby(don't like the small fuel tank on top of the engine(also makes it too high)

15. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

whoa, now...that is a whole new (& cool) direction :)
    (and one i've discussed with someone who can do something about it)...

there is diaphragm carburetion available for this class of engine, and i'm thinking it won't cost any more if we can source it at the production level.

16. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Great idea...i've heard about those carby's and Grubee mentions them aswell on his website.
    How do i proceed...do u want me to wait on you?

BTW.....pdf is 3.81Mb so IF i can that Workshop Manual sections of it should fit.

17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

18. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

that cleared that up :)

please keep us posted on the governor mod :)

19. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

This is NOT a Workshop Manual but it can be used in conjunction with the Owners Manual to get a more detailed understanding of the engine....scroll down past the BP-25H.
    View attachment GXH50 QXA.pdf

20. xkwox

xkwox Member

yeah, i plan on getting this motor. Please keep me updated on the governor situation, I'd like to remove it myself but have no clue when it comes to small engines